Any Kit-Car freaks here?

Crazy333

Apr 5, 2008
Just wondering if I'm the only one on MAP who is mad for Kit-Cars - my baby is a UVA Fugitive IV, see below on the climb up to Glen Coe.

What's your passion/obsession?
(and can we have a pic please )

Noice mate

Well, I've just bought this book so I should have one in a few months if I'm lucky.

Hehe, my dad's car is pictured in the back of that book (although it has changed alot since then). He has a signed copy by Ron Champion. I'll dig out some pics in a bit, it is a modified Caterham with a 400+bhp turbo-charged Cosworth engine in it, weighing in at under a ton as well. It is also the car I had my first driving lesson in!

Indeed, scared the living out of me, but in a good way. Somehow the little Pug I'm having to use at the moment doesn't quite compare.

Pics from various times, it was built in '98 and has changed alot since. I don't know, I guess petrol-heads must understand why there always needs to be something added/tinkered with. I don't think my mum does though! Anyway, I'm afraid I haven't got a recent recent pic, but the ones taken on the Atlas-Sahara rally (with the miserable old buggers club stickers down the side, which before you ask is some kind of charity team thing that my dad was in) are from a couple years back, the blurred one was from a track day at Brands Hatch just over a year ago (well you try and take a decent pic down the long home straight when it's going that fast! ). It has just returned from another one to Monaco and back as well...

Lol, and that car isn't even mine unfortunately , so technically it's actually just you. The MA/petrol-head connection is obviously a rareity.

Sorry missed this one.

I'll just sneak in on this.

I have a JBA Javelin in the process of a rebuild, at present going with a Twin Cam 2.0 or possibly a 3.0 Essex, but the plan is eventually to go V8 ( is there any other choice really )

It was sold to me as a convertable Capri ( I also have a 2.8i ), but found out fairly soon it wasnt when I noticed that all the panels were fibreglass and the chassis was tube steel. Ripped out the 2.0 pinto, gearbox etc, and working on what to do next.

Of course I also plan on building a locost at some point if I can get a V12 engine for it ( It's a dream I've had for a few years )

Thanks Lithanwif, it's good to know I'm not alone - in having a wild crazy obsession for, lets be frank , a big boy's toy.

Notwithstanding the fact that, thereby we enjoy awesome power/weight ratios, amazing handling and (those of us enclosed in tri-angulated tubular steel) increased crash-survivability. Also in my case, exellent off-road fun and close contact with the elements (i.e. it never gets stuffy in my Fug ).

I wasn't aware of Capri kits, but sounds fine given it's rear wheel drive. Had a little google, the Javelins do look the business, well mean with that monster front grill. I also like the look of the Falcon Sports SR's.

Locosts yeah, they look right racy too, and must handle well being so low.
But a V12...mmm, mmm, big respect to you Lithanwif.

I'm having to manage with a mild-street 1600 air-cooled flat-4 VW.

As you said, its power to weight...but the idea of a v12 in a & chassis just appeals for some reason.

Jav doesnt look that good just now, It's down to bair chassis for welding and powder coating...need to make sure I never need to rebuild again so I can move onto the next project. I want to upgrade my 2.8 to swaymar setup.

No reason needed...it just appeals.

I'm not familiar with this, but if it means more power/torque I'm all for it.

Yeah, stripping back to the metal (been there) and 'doing it right' is a real tedious hassle. But well worth it in the longer term IMO. I found doing a bit every day, no matter how little, was the way for me. Keep it going!

Swaymar engine uses the same block, but increases the stroke...effectivley giving you a 3.2 engine. Leads to major increases in BHP, and since the stroke is moved from 2/3 to 3/4 it removes a fair amount of the vibration from the Cologne V6 engine.

Now that the nerdy stuff is out of the way, I also want a port and polish, better valves, a turbo kit... thats about as much as I can do and keep the engine original ( I mean original engine, not truly original )

Of course thats after the Jav is finished. I would also like to do a back to metal repsray while the engine is out.

Then take it off the road so it never gets damaged.....aye right!

I'm of the opinion that, once it's 'ready' it should be thrashed mercilessly at every oportunity.

It should only be thrashed so that you can figure the next 'improvement' and thats what I'll tell mr Plod when he pulls me over.

Back