Am I eating enough to lose body fat?

murray

Jan 4, 2009
I'm trying to drop my body fat percentage, because I'm around 27% at the moment. 25 years old, 5'9, male, 170lbs, sedentary lifestyle. I'm eating what I think is fairly healthily and started resistance training at the gym, but I keep getting confused at loads of things on the internet telling me that I should be eating MORE food than I am, because at the moment I'm eating what my body is telling me I need, and to eat more would feel wrong.

Breakfast: A couple of biscuits of Weetabix or Shredded Wheat, with semi-skimmed milk.
Lunch: A wholemeal bread sandwich with no butter or other toppings, filled with turkey, ham, or beef slices. OR about 5-6 pieces of sushi with a banana.
Dinner: Variable, but usually a well-rounded protein/carb/veg meal. A weeks meals would probably include a roast chicken dinner (without gravy), lentil soup, salmon with potatoes and peas, piece of steak with sweet potato and green beans, spaghetti bolognaise, baked chicken pieces with basmati rice and peas.
Snacks: Banana or apple, if peckish between meals.

I do some moderate cardio 4-5 days a week, interval training for a couple of those days and light-moderate stationary cycling/rowing for 30-45 minutes the rest. I also started using gym machines (working up to free weights) to start doing resistance training.

Reading all the confused and conflicting information has me worried that what I'm doing will just end up burning muscle, but at the same time if I eat more I feel I'll be eating more than I need. Any advice?

Back