Alright, Who Knows A Lot About Car Audio?

t

Mar 15, 2008
Current Set up

H.U. : Alpine CD9887

Front Stage: (older set( 5" Boston Acoustics Pro's

Subwoofer: Single 12" Boston Acoustics G3

Amplfier : Memphis M Class 4 Channel Amplifier
Channels 1 and 2 for Component Speakers
Channels 3 and 4 bridged for Subwoofer

There is a brief summary of my Audio System. I recently took my vehicle to an audio shop to get it tuned. I am struggling to get good imaging out of my component speakers. I have a 2004 Grand Am GT. It had been equiped with stock component speakers, so I used the stock locations (mid-bass flush against bottom door panel, and tweets are postioned near mirrors facing dome light) I tried angling my midbass towards the dome light to get better imaging but my door panel hits, and I do not have the money to get custom Sails, or Panels. Now back to my Imaging problem. I have always used a soft dome tweet in the past. The Boston Pro's I picked up had a metal dome tweet. On my way home I started playing around with my "tuned audio system" and was disappointed. Bass blened wonderfuly, mid-bass was tight, accurate, "dry" jus the way I like it. However the tweeters sounded like someone had threw a bunch of blankets in front of them. The sound wasn't "full." So I ran through my settings. I noted that he had turned the treble down to -5, and the I looked at the crossovers on the door panel and they were at -3 db. So I put my volume to normal listening volume and turned my treble back up to 0, and it sounded phenomial. So I decided to turn my H.U. volume up. The tweeters were too bright, up in your face. I just can't find a good balance point to stick with.

I was thinking about taking my tweets out and sticking them farther up on the dash so they wouldn't be so "in your face" but that would require me dremeling out holes in my interior. I would like to keep everything "stock look."

So suggestions.....I asked the guy at the audio shop (no this isnt best buy or circuit city) about a sound processor, and he said with my H.U., Pro's, Sub, and Amp. It wouldn't make that much of a difference.

I was thinking about swapping my Metal Dome Tweets with a set of Soft Domes. Any suggestions on that? I was thinking about looking into DLS???

I tried my best to explain this. I'm no professional, but still love my audio. Thanks guys.
haha who the helll said get kicker?

...sound waves are round buddy. If you know anything about SQ you will note that you do not see any other shapes other than circular in speakers due to the fact that sound waves are round. A square speaker will typicaly distort faster at higher volumes vs a circular speaker.

Back