About Martial Arts, what's it like?

Yiska

Jul 24, 2008
I'm thinking of enrolling on a Korean Martial Arts school called "Kuk Sool Won". But I've been wondering, whats it like being in a Martial Arts school? I consider myself a fast learner. And I also heard about the "tournament"? What's that like? Is it obligatory? Do they rush you? Do you get pressured? I have no idea what's it like. I don't really care if its hard--I'm willing to do it! But I still am wondering about it.

I take martial arts and I love it. We aren't forced to go to any tournaments or anything, its optional. They usually take care of new guys pretty good, you won't be rushed or pressured. Some things will be hard and other things you will learn in no time. Ultimately martial arts is the best thing I have ever been involved in, its worth it.

Martial arts will teach several things regarding hand to hand combat and self defense. However, you'll also learn several things that will make you a better human being and I think that is what makes martial arts different from other activities.

Most schools will go easy on beginners and gradually work them higher and higher. Though tournaments aren't mandatory (in some places) it's a good idea to join because it can give you a taste of fighting different people and give you more experience regarding different fighting methods.

Be sure to look out for McDojos: http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com/

- Hope this helps

Back