4 out of 10 women sexually harassed.

vinster82

Mar 19, 2008
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/may/25/four-10-women-sexually-harassed

Apparently 4/10 are sexually harassed are those numbers accurate? Is this what people here have experienced in their daily lives?

Some of the critiques of this study, "wolf whistling" and shouts of "oi oi" have also been counted as "sexual harassment" do you agree with that notion?

I certainly don't think it's harassment, I mean if someone was to wolf whistle me I would take it as a personal compliment. A 43 year old female radio presenter commented she hardly gets oi ois or wolf whistles any more, but when she did get one recently she had a smile on her face and a spring in her step for the rest of the day, surely that's not sexual harassment?

Well, what does everyone think?

depends when it gets to stalking and groping levels, I was going to say that I hadn't noticed it here in the UK but now I think more.... I know of friends who just stopped going to clubs, it was too much hassle, but you kind of expect it in the clubs and bars to some extent. I've been followed home. That's pretty unnerving, and when you've said you're not interested and they won't go away. Personally if guns were legal in the UK I'd have one. Probably the worst I remember was in Jordan (and it is apparently quite moderate compared to the rest of the Middle East). I don't want to be racist, but think I'll stop my sentence, just here....

I've been felt up by strangers, I had one feel my hair when I was out at a bar. I was also at the university's bar one night when some strange guy came up and asked me if i 'gave head'

I told him to beat it before he got the whole contents of my beer bottle over his head. And I meant it.

I also had that guy sexually assault me at university picking me up off the floor and trying to kiss me, thats when I slapped him in the head, using the move I later learned in Shotokan is a 'palm heel strike' but this was back in 2001, and I knew no karate then.

Wolf whistles? I am not a piece of meat!

You wouldn't feel it was complimentary? A bit of harmless appreciation?

What about the girls that go out there to get noticed? I'm talking extremely tight clothing, and with "too hot" on the backside of their jeans, if they were to get wolf whistled at and they smiled and felt good about it, that is sexual harassment? From the sounds of it on the radio, most women would appreciate a "oi oi" or a wolf whistle unless they were hardcore feminists and didn't want to be as you put it "meat".

Yes, they are harassment. Leering at people you have never met loudly and in public is harassment. It's also rude, iofftopicture and says a lot about the person doing the leering.

Mitch

Should have said yes and headbutted him. Then pound a shot of Everclear and put a cigarette out on your tongue. Guaranteed not to get hit on for the rest of the night.

I'll get around to the rest when I can. Trying my best. Posting it like its easy to harass 4/10. Jeez .,,,,, I have to work as well

How people dress is their own business and does not excuse any form of behavior on another's part.

Mitch

But in my experience, the whistling is a form of a compliment, and is 90% of the time returned with a smile. I myself can't whistle, but if I was in a car while working as part of a sales crew, my old manager tended to do that quite a bit, and I have never seen it end negatively. They would flash a smile back, or come out with something like "oi oi to you aswell love".

I've also seen my uncle do the same, with my aunt also in the car (his wife), he occasionally wolf whistles or oi ois, his wife just laughs it off calling him a cheeky sod, or might comment something like her really? Again, never seen a negative reaction. Always quite positive.

According, to the radio which I'm listening to right now, www.lbc.co.uk and the female callers who have called in, so many woman have said, when I wear that nice summer dress, and I haven't been oi oi's I feel like I'm not doing good.

The point is many do it to be noticed.

Let us look at it a different way, you think if George Clooney, Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp wolf whistled a lady she would feel like she was being sexually harassed or would most blush like a little girl?

I've never felt harassed. As for wolfcalls and comments, some have a different sense of humor than others. It doesn't bother me but some women do find it offensive. Now, if a guy is touching me, ill tell you once to stop, then im going to smack you.

Laughing it off or, "Oi oi to you too," do not indicate that the woman in question might not rather be able to go about her business without strangers commenting on them because they're female.

Let's say you're taller than average, is it OK for strangers to shout out, "Oi! Lofty! Can you breathe up there?" everywhere you go? Would it still be funny the 10th time every day?

What about shouting at fat people, or short people, or people of different ethnicities?

You don't get to make the judgement about how it makes strangers feel. You don't get to deal with strangers based on a single physical trait.

Mitch

Back