2004 Acura MDX idle issue when cold.?

ALM1

Jul 12, 2009
Our MDX has been very reliable, but I am starting to see some rough idling during cold starts. If I start the engine and let it warm up for 3-5 minutes, then its fine, the idle runs slightly above 1k and drops to around 800 when running temp is reached, then I can drive with no issues.
If I start it and drove it immediately, it feels like the engine is going to die at the stop light, (for the first few minutes/stops) the idle drops to like 500 - i find myself putting the gear to nuetral and trying to rev it up to get the engine to temp.

It does this when car is parked for a long time and when climate temp is cold. When I leave in the afternoon going to work, Its fine because sun is already up and its not that cold. After 9 hours parked at work which is by the bay, the temp could drop specially now its fall/winter.
Regular Maintenance done everytime, oil change, tire rotation, air and oil filters change, etc. about 85,000 miles on it, and no Check Engine Light errors (yet).
What could be the problem/s? Can I adjust the idle setting myself? ( I am mechanically inclined and performed most of the maintenance myself ). Could it be sparkplugs?

Back