2001 Outback rebuilt transmission issues?

Bret

Jun 10, 2008
I had to replace the transmission on my 01 Outback a year ago on very short notice. I got a supposedly reputable rebuild installed in good time and have had no problems till now.

Hesitates to down shift when needed at 40 -60mph/2k -2.5k rpm. Load does seem to be related, as on inclined onramps when trying to get up to speed. When I depress the gas pedal to spur it to downshift, it sometimes unreasonably double down shifts and revs through the gears until stable, with a seeming disconnect from what I am doing with the gas pedal. Sometimes hesitates at a dead stop to begin in 1st gear, and when gassed, will slump, and then rev as above. Inconsistant on all symptoms. Mostly drives great, but acts up as described. Seems to be most prevelant when the fuel level dips below 1/4 tank.

I have been told that it may be as simple as a sticky valve. Makes sense to me, as it seem aspirationally related.

I have an ongoing check engine light issue with this car that could be related. Light goes on for a period of days, then goes off for a day maybe. Then back on. Been this way for two plus years. Codes yeilded have been mis fire on cylinder 4, and faulty fuel sensor. Possible knock sensor. Nobody has been able to get it nailed down, and by all accounts I have no cylinar problems and I have never experienced fuel sensor problems. Seems to be a ghost in the machine.

Hoping my investment in the rebuild just needs some adjustment, and maybe a new valve.

Back