2000 gmc 1500 pickup acting funny?

LeoH

Aug 15, 2008
Hi,

Have a 2000 gmc 1500 pick up truck with almost 260,000 miles on it. Two days ago it ran like a champ. Yesterday the truck felt like it was lagging..like I was driving into a wind. Pushing down the gas pedal didn't help. I could easily do 65 down the highway and the truck didn't make any odd noises/smells/no leakage of any fluids etc.
Today the truck acted in the same wind against windshield sorta fashion but I could drive it down the highway doing like 60mph without problem..on the way back was a different story..
The truck seemed to lag when I took hills..dropping like 10 mph..I gave it some more gas to maintain speed but it only seemed to rev the engine without any really difference.
There was no odd smell/no leaking fluids/no over heating but there was this odd noise like suddenly the belts were loose..it wasn't a squeek but more like belts were slipping or something was coming loose?? The noise seemed to be coming from the area near the back of the firewall in the center.
The engine also seems to be running in what I would call a lower octive...it starts easily..has power..seems to be shifting through various gears fine. When I turn the key over and rev the engine in the parkinglot...there is this pinging noise when the tach reaches the bottom.

any ideas of what this could be?

I would replace the fuel filter and add a bottle of fuel system conditioner as I think you just experienced some contaminated fuel. I think it has the filter plugged but it could also be the fuel pump going out and not building enough rail pressure. a shop can test this pretty easy.

Back