1998 Honda Accord EX 2.3L MANUAL Slipping when cold (241K miles)?

Jordy

Jul 4, 2008
Hello, just a quick question.

I was debating whether or not to buy this 1998 Honda Accord EX with the 2.3L I4 with a 5 speed manual, but I noticed a few issues with it.

1st: As soon as I took the car off the lot, I got up to speed and shifted into either 2nd or 3rd gear and noticed something. When the engine and transmission are cold, the shift into 2nd is kinda jittery. As I let the clutch out after I shift into 2nd the car acts like I took the clutch out way to quickly, even though I let the clutch out slow. But this problem goes away when the car is warmed up.

Also, the clutch slips 2 times when the engine is cold. It slips for about 4 seconds, then kicks back into gear. The more I push the accelerator pedal to compensate for the loss of speed, the harsher it catches itself. The car never does this when its warm though, that's what I find odd. This also happens in 2nd or 3rd gear.

2nd: I hear some front end clunking. But what is strange is that while driving over a very uneven road surface, the car feels nice and tight. But as I drive over a very rippled but smooth road surface I hear the noise. The only way I can describe it is it sounds like the threaded portion of a screw is going in and out of a hole about the same size, how it sounds similar to a ratchet? That is what I mean. I jacked the front end up and all I could find loose was both drive axles had some play in them as I pulled the axle toward the wheel hub, and then pushed the axle towards the transmission. I don't know if its a matter of tightening the hub nut, or if the axles need replacing or what.

3rd: This also is in reguards to a clunk, but this on is the actual steering wheel. If I grab the steering wheel at the 3 and 9 o'clock position, and pull the steering wheel towards and away from me it clunks. Let me explain more. There is play in the steering wheel. It is almost like the nut that attaches the steering wheel to the steering column is loose and needs tightening. I am not sure if that is the problem, but that is what it sounds like to me.

Well, those are the major problems I have found with this car. It runs amazing though! Better than my 1989 Ford Taurus and this honda has more than 2.5 times the amount of miles on it! Plus it is so much more enthusiastic to drive and is so much more torquey. I just don't want to buy it, and then end up in the same position as I am now with my car. Nickle and diming it every month. I want a car that I can just fill with gas and change the oil! But it seems like I can't find that car. Maybe its a sign that I need to keep my car for now.

Also, since this car has 241'146 miles on it, I am curious if there is a way to check to see if the timing belt and 200'000 miles service has been done without tearing into the car to check. As of now, there are no service records saying that the timing belt has been changed AT ALL! That's another reason why I am uncomfortable buying this car.

It is so nice though! It is a beigey silver metallic, with beige cloth, sun roof, and very tight to drive. When I accelerate and rev the engine up to 5k, it doesn't feel like 5k. I just can't believe how nice it is.

Anyways, let me know what you think is the problem. I hope its nothing major, I would really like to own this car!

Back