1997 lincoln continental wont accelerate passed 45 mph?

Andrew1

May 13, 2008
I have a 1997 Lincoln continental 4.6 V8 Spinmaker. The problem I am having is the car will not accelerate passed 40-45 mph (sometimes up to 50) . When I am driving down the road the car runs perfect till i hit the 40 mph range and it feels as if the gas just stops going into the motor. i can push on it as hard as i can and nothing. it starts slowing down matter of fact till it shifts down and seems to be fine accelerating to 45mph again. if i take off from a dead stop and keep my foot as it is, it will stay at 45 but no faster. Sometimes it sputters like it wants to accelerate but doesn't. it doesn't run or idle rough at all even while its not getting the power. I did come back with a code referring to inadequate power to the engine but the Aamco guy told me it could be a variety of things ranging from fuel filter to fuel injectors so they have to do testing which is $80 an hour. I'd rather have my money go toward repairs and not testing so i was hoping someone would be kind enough to help me? I can provide any additional info if necessary

thank you

Andrew

Back