1995 VW cabrio convertible work?

MollyK

Jul 4, 2008
Well Im looking at a car and its a purple 95 VW cabrio convertible and, for lack of a better word, it needs to be customed? or something lolol. It was on ebay and I wanted to know what you guys thought...

http://auto-auctions.ebizautos.com/shared/viewer.aspx?&iid=2290361&src=eBay&pid=25

^^pics of the car

First off for the outside, it needs a little touch up paint for chips and rust, and the desciption said that the convertible top wasnt working properly. I just emailed the man asking how it wasnt working so Ill let you know what he says. But just in case the worse happens, how much would a new top be? its a soft black top.

interior is really bad (as you can see from the pics lol) So what would it cost to re-cover (or re-pad the seats if the water damage is really bad) He said theyre a light grey color. also the carpet has bad water damage as well. it should be light grey too i think.

next is the performance. this is what im most concerned about. in the desciption it says

"MECHANICALLY, A STRONG RUNNING VEHICLE THAT IS IN NEED OF TRANSMISSION REPAIR AND/OR SERVICE AS IT IS NOT SHIFTING PROPERLY, AND THERE ARE SOME ACTIVE SENSORS, SEEMS FINE OTHERWISE."
first of all, how much would the transmission repair cost? since we dont know the details just yet, estimate it as the worst condition. same with the shifting part (even though its automatic?) and what are those sensors hes talking about? any input will be appreciated. Also the air conditioning blows warm, im concerned about the heating because it can get pretty cold around here.

custom changes: if I have left over money id really like to get a new dashboard and cupholders. the plastic interior stuff! (im a germo-phobe)
and if I can change the things (where it says the gas meter, mph, etc) to look a little bit more modern thatd be really nice. Plus if theres a way to make the car more snow safe(I live in the mountains in a ski-town so we get tons of snow and ice every winter) that be GREAT!

as you can see it needs work. also, please dont think of me as immature or stupid like someone called me on my last question. I know i need a junk car, and im not the richest person in the world. im just concerned about the safety and cleanliness of the car. (I dont want mold or something growing from the water damage and i dont want my car to die before I end high school.) I Just need estimates and as soon as the man emails me back Ill give you his reply.

heres the full decription off of ebay:

"...

PLEASE READ ENTIRE DESCRIPTION BEFORE BIDDING....THIS VEHICLE IS IN NEED OF TRANSMISSION REPAIR PRIOR TO ANY LONG DISTANCE DRIVING (WE CAN ARRANGE THIS REPAIR AT BUYERS COST IF NECESSARY)......

LOOKING FOR A CONVERTIBLE TOP CABRIO? WELL HERES ONE THAT FEATURES LOTS OF OPTIONS AND IS BEING SOLD WITHOUT RESERVE! NICE COLOR COMBINATION FEATURING A LIGHT PURPLISH COLOR EXTERIOR COMPLIMENTED BY A LIGHT GREY COLOR INTERIOR WHICH GIVES THIS CABRIO A NICE LOOK. POWERED BY A TREMENDOUS 2.0L 4 CYLINDER ENGINE WITH AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, A POWERTRAIN THAT IS KNOWN THE WORLD OVER TO BE AS DEPENDABLE AS IT IS FUEL EFFICIENT (30+ MILES PER GALLON). OPTIONS ON THIS CABRIO INCLUDE; CONVERTIBLE TOP WITH GLASS REAR WINDOW, FACTORY ALLOY WHEELS, PREMIUM KENWOOD SOUND SYSTEM WITH CD PLAYER, CUPHOLDERS, DRIVER AND PASSENGER SIDE AIRBAG RESTRAINTS, AIR CONDITIONING (BLOWS WARM), ROLL BAR, CRUISE CONTROL, ANTI LOCK BRAKES (ABS), POWER LOCKS, WINDOWS, MIRRORS, AND MORE. EXTERIOR IS IN GREAT SHAPE, SHOWING NO BODY DAMAGE. PAINT MAINTAINS A SHOWROOM QUALITY LUSTER AND SHOWS ONLY NORMAL ROADWEAR AND CHIP MARKINGS (SEE PICS). THE TOP IS IN NEED OF SOME REPAIR BUT IT IS OPERATIONAL (SEE PICS). INTERIOR IS IN FAIR SHAPE WITH CARPET AND UPHOLSTERY SHOWING SOME WEAR AND DISCOLOR (SEE PICS). DASHBOARD IS IN ITS ORIGINAL CONDITION. MECHANICALLY, A STRONG RUNNING VEHICLE THAT IS IN NEED OF TRANSMISSION REPAIR AND/OR SERVICE AS IT IS NOT SHIFTING PROPERLY, AND THERE ARE SOME ACTIVE SENSORS, SEEMS FINE OTHERWISE. VEHICLE HISTORY REPORT SHOWS THIS VEHICLE TO HAVE AN ACCIDENT FREE HISTORY AND CONFIRMS THE MILEAGE TO BE ACCURATE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO REVIEW. ANYONE WHO HAS EVER DRIVEN OR OWNED A CONVERTIBLE WOULD AGREE THAT NOTHING CAN COMPARE TO CRUISING WITH THE TOP DOWN. BEST OF ALL, THIS CABRIO RECENTLY CAME TO US ON TRADE AND WE HAVE DECIDED TO SELL THIS VEHICLE TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER, REGARDLESS OF PRICE!! FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE EMAIL OR CALL856-662-9468

Please be advised that pictures and descriptions provided, are in order to best describe vehicle. Please expect 'normal wear' that would be consistent with vehicles age and mileage. Older vehicles may show undercarriage rusting consistent with vehicles age and mileage. If further information or specific details are needed please contact us prior to bidding. We will take special request questions if you call us and can do a walk around the car while you are on the phone if you need anything specific answered.

Sounds like a pile-O-crap. Unless you want to spend several months & $10,000 to $15,000 to customize it, stay clear of this deal.

Back