Does the A-Rod admission of taking steroids diminish the sport of baseball and

Feb 27, 2008
A-Rod's chances for the H.O.F.? Should A-Rod be allowed to continue playing baseball and is the baseball Commissioner's Office ineffective. And, what does it all say about Baseball Players Association Head Donald Ferr?

A-Rod Confession Brings Scum to Head
Posted Feb 10th 2009 12:20 AM by Jay Mariotti (author feed)

Filed Under: MLB
Shocking as it is to locate a shred of truth in baseball, from the commissioner's office on down to the scummiest steroids dealer, at least Alex Rodriguez found some religion Monday. By confessing to juice use instead of perpetuating a lie, he gave himself a chance -- a chance, I said -- that Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Mark McGwire never gave themselves on Denial Row. He still has nine years to stay clean, talk to kids and demonstrate his immense natural ability.

Still, A-Rod's colossal admission, to whatever extent of the truth he is telling, does nothing to make America feel better about his legacy or the enormity of baseball's disease the last 20 years.

By using steroids for three seasons in Texas, starting in 2001, Rodriguez cast a permanent cloud over what could have been the greatest of all careers, turning a first-ballot Hall of Fame resume into the latest and biggest scandal of his tragicomic tabloid life.

As for baseball, what we're seeing is, quite possibly, the largest pile of corruption, deceit and cover-ups in the history of sports in this country, a trail that includes more dirty players than we ever anticipated, an unscrupulous players union, a weak commissioner who conveniently looked the other way and complicit owners who cared only about turning steroid-filled power surges into profits.

Forget about the Bowl Championship Series. If President Obama values the integrity of sports as much as he claims, he will "throw (his) weight around" and support a massive Congressional investigation that goes beyond the Bud Selig-ordered Mitchell Report and probes the commissioner, owners and union heads -- the conspirators who allowed the strench of rotten juice to destroy baseball's integrity.

"If you're a fan of Major League Baseball, I think it tarnishes an entire era to some degree," Obama said Monday. "And it's unfortunate, because I think there were a lot of ballplayers who played it straight."

Back