Ice fell off room and destroyed my truck. Who is liable for damages?

seth_40

Feb 11, 2009
I have been renting a place in upper Michigan for the last 6 months and this morning I found that a big shelf of ice had fallen off the roof and landed on the hood of my truck. The hood is completely destroyed along with both front quarter panels, the front bumper, the grill, headlights, and there is a leak in my radiatir hose. My auto insurance won't cover the damages and I was wondering if the owner is liable to pay to fix my truck.

No, the owner will not fix your truck. It SHOULD have been covered by your comprehensive insurance (same as if a tree had fallen on it). If you don't have comprehensive insurance, it's your pocket, dude.

In order for the home owner to be responsible for the damage to your truck you would have to prove that the homeowners negligence caused the ice to fall on your vehicle.

The ice falling from the roof does not make the property owner automatically responsible.

If you have comprehensive coverage on your vehicle, that would pay to fix your car. Sounds like you don't.

As such, you will probably have to pay this out of pocket.

Sometimes cr@p happens and you don't get paid for it.

If you have comprehensive coverage, your insurance should cover it. If you don't have comprehensive coverage, then you're not too bright.

You can file a small claims suit against the owner, go in front of Judge Judy on TV, it'll be interesting to see how a case like this turns out.

You are.... they will say you parked too close to the building knowing that there was an ice storm out there.

Back