Who to talk to about damages to my truck caused by road painting in Michigan.?

Mike

May 13, 2008
Last week I pull out of my driveway and while driving down the road I had to go around a trailer parked in the road. The yellow lines in the road had recently been painted and were still wet. I drive a big truck with large tires. The tires threw the paint all over the side of my truck. Who do I talk to in order to seek reimbursement for the damages? I live in Benton Harbor Michigan, but am not sure if these painting companies are hired by the state, county, etc.?

This isn't an attack against you, but the only way I can think of that it would throw paint all over the SIDE of your truck, is if your tires stick out past the wheel wells. If they do, most states have statutes for how far (if at all) they can stick out, and if you aren't within the legal limits, they could deny your claims stating that if you had been driving the right speed in the zone (usually in a residential zone during construction it's under 15mph) and had the right flares, it wouldn't have splattered on the side of your truck, and just under, in which case they would pay you enough to buy a can of spray paint to cover it up. So while I agree that your state department of transportations or public works would be the best contact, just beware of what they could use against you in court. It's the same arguement as a pothole damaging custom wheels on a car.

Back