Am I unreasonable for asking my husband to give up his Blackberry?

ArtieLangeFan

Nov 17, 2008
He refuses to give up his Blackberry even though it is costing us $30 extra a month for him to have it (due to the cost of the internet on it which you cannot remove).

I gave mine up to save money and feel it is not fair that he won't.

He doesn't need it for work or anything, he just uses it for fun.
and we have the internet on our computer at home so he can use it anytime he wants but for some reason he won't use it on the computer, only on the Blackberry.
I think he is addicted to it!
Yes I have a phone, just not a blackberry and that is what I want him to do also.

Well the blackberries are very powerful. I have on and wouldnt give it up. OBAMA wouldnt give up his blackberry either. EVERYBODY LOVES BLACKBERRY

I would say he should give it up or find another way to save the 30 bucks a month. I unfortunately have a Treo phone and it is given to me for work and I would much rather have just a regular cell phone. I don't need the emails or web access 24/7 plus it is hard to see. You may want to find out if he is using it for things noncondusive to your relationship, say contacting other women etc.....it just seems odd that he not offer to give it up.

OK I have blackberry and if Im under financial crisis i would definitely give up and wouldn't give a second thought.

HA HA I AGREE WITH MY FRIEND PAX ABOVE.

No, I think it's perfectly reasonable. It's wasting money and you can do the exact same things without the Blackberry. You gave up yours!

for gods sake a man needs some pleasures in life,just let him have his toy and stop playing the martyr

Obama's the President of the United States, and the most powerful man in the world right now, ok? I think he probably needs a blackberry more than the selfish, self-centered gameboy in the question here.

No, you are not being unreasonable in asking him to give it up. When you need to start saving money, perks should be the first thing to go. Is there something else that you can have him give up so that at least you're both on level ground? His argument is probably that you volunteered to give yours up so why should he, when nobody made you, am I right? That's a selfish attitude to take in a marriage, when there are things that should be done AS A TEAM. He's being a brat.

So ... no, you aren't being unreasonable. The real question is ... what are you going to do?

Well, hmm, I don't know what to tell you. You gave up your phone to save money? Well I hope you still have a phone because you need one for emergencies, especially since you're a woman and all. Anyway, if he wants a really fun phone that has internet then he should get the iPhone. I'm pretty sure it costs less than a blackberry and the internet plan isn't 30.00 extra, I don't know, look into it. I think you might have to compromise on this one because he really seems to love those kind of phones.

I gave up my blackberry, only because it kept freezing and losing texts and stuff. Then I went to the iphone.

Seriously, so what. Find other things to fight about.

He shouldn't HAVE to give it up just to make you happy. If you did it great, I'm sure he appreciates it but it doesn't mean that he has to do the same. I'm sure there's a compromise in there somewhere, maybe he can cut $30 a month out with something else. It's not so black-and-white, and looking at it like that will only cause issues. There's nothing wrong with him keeping it if he can save the money another way. If he just flat out refuses to help in any way then yea you have a right to be up in his face about it, he can't expect you to be the only one making sacrifices. If he wants you to be the only one doing it, time to step it up and let him know you won't be with him if he can't participate in the relationship.

Back