can cichlids go with australian rainbow fish?

mi>chell<e

Feb 6, 2009
hi i have a 56 gallon tank full of plants and rocks. well i have 3 australian rainbow fish. i really wanted to get some cichlids. some people say cichlids do ok with australians. is that true and what kind of cichlids go ok with them.
btw the tank is cycled and everything i have had it for a year this april i just havnt gotten around to fully stocking it. i want some electric yellows and blue cichlids.how do they do with rainbows?

Temperament wise they should be OK.

I think they would both be alright in a neutral PH. Electric Yellows prefer above 7.0. There's a few different species of Australian Rainbow, but 7.0 is normally their recommended PH.

No reason they could go together, subject to the water.

Edit:
Electric Blue it would seem require a PH of 7.5-9.0, which would be a bit high for Rainbow. http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/freshwater/cichlids/electricblue.html

Rainbow fish are best kept in groups of 6. As for their compatibilty with cichlids, I'd recommend some peaceful ones such as Kribensis,yellow lab (electric yellow),C.Moorii (dolphin),blue Acei. Stay away from Mbuna species all together. I know how beautiful they are but they are extremely agressive!!

Back