BMW 528i SE starting problems?

JohnB

May 15, 2008
my 1997 BMW 528 i SE automatic is having trouble starting. the starter motor turns well and the battery is strong but it can take as long as 10 minutes to fire by which time the battery is flat so I have to hook it up to a booster. it seems intermitant and some times fires on the first turn.
im guessing maybe something with the ignition may be damp or possibly the fuel filter, any ideas are very welcome.
thanks
its just had brand new plugs in, but thanks for the other suggestions.

You need to do more trouble shooting to determine what is not working. Either your not getting fuel (my guess) or your not getting spark.

Spark is easy to test, Pull out a wire and hold it in your mouth while someone cranks it over. Just kidding.

You can buy a tool to check it or just pull a wire and ark it to metal. I usually put a screw driver in the wire and lay it next to metal.

If you have spark it is a fuel issue. Im gunna guess your fuel relay or the computer is not shooting fuel during start up.

Good luck.

maybe feul filter,or plugs could need changing,iam no expert though. good look,nice car they are

sounds as though you may have a problem with the pistons. they shoul usuall pump enough fuel into the engine to get it to turn over propperly. either hat or your ignition is burning out. i suggest purchacing a new ignition.however if this is not the case it may be a didgy fuse or the oil and water

Back