Is religion really a good thing or just an excuse for war?

TaraA

Apr 2, 2008
My dad wants me to go to church on xmas day (seeing as xmas is religious holiday i suppose I should) but to be honest I hate religion. Religion has has caused so much trouble and bloodshed. When you think of all the problems and riots that happened in Ireland and the terrorists (who are NOT religious, but claim they are fighting for their religion) I don't want anything to do with religion.

Does anyone else think the world would be a better place without it?

Recent (past 300 years) wars have not been fought over religion, but it was a major factor in the cause.

Religion is the belief that man can organize faith. Faith is the relationship that a individual has with their creator. Out of the infinite possibilities you could have been, or even never been, all the things you survived (birth defects, sids, childhood, robbery, murder) you are still alive, and unique, there aren't 20 other people like you. You probably are even unique even in your family. That's the creator making you special. Faith is the relationship you have with the creator of all.

Religion is the idea that someone elses beliefs are more important then yours. Perhaps their beliefs are correct, that's for you to decide. Perhaps there not. For example I wouldn't give my life to fight in a bloody war for land where famous holy people lived and died like they did in the crusades. I also wouldn't teach another human being that the creator of everything wants you to worship him by strapping C4 to your chest and blowing yourself up in a market. God never intended people to wage war for him, only for people to worship and love him.

I think it's really important to make a clear distinction between another persons personal views on their faith is, and your personal views on your faith are, and that is religion in the broadest sense.

The religion of athiesm is terrible.

Atheism, not other religions is the force behind the mass murders of history
http://atheisticviolence.wordpress.com/2007/12/04/atheism-not-religion-is-the-force-behind-the-mass-murders-of-history/

These figures are tragic, and of course population levels were much lower at the time. But even so, they are minuscule compared with the death tolls produced by the atheist despotisms of the 20th century. In the name of creating their version of a religion-free utopia, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Mao Zedong produced the kind of mass slaughter that no Inquisitor could possibly match. Collectively these atheist tyrants murdered more than 100 million people.

Religion never caused any problems until monotheism came around.

War doesn't need an excuse. It will always happen regardless. Sometimes it can be a good thing too.

Religion poisons everything.
History is littered with events of bloodshed and terrorism caused by religious fanatics in the name of their beliefs.

The countries with the highest % of religious people have the worst education systems, and are third world countries.

The US is the only country that is a bit different, but we do have the higest teenage birth rates, and the highest crime rates, and the higest STD rates. All this from a country of supposed "Christian values"

Religion is rarely the cause of war...but it is often used by leaders as a justification of war. Get it straight.

With the wars, you are seeing the result of mis guided, angry, hate filled masses who, for some reason, forget what Christ taught.

Don't blame Christianity for that. Angry hateful people will find any excuse to kill eachother, even if you do banish all religion from the earth.

It can be an excuse for war as well as many other things.

@ Steve N: And the bloodshed in northern Ireland is...?

Back