Can someone help me with my history homework? Lincoln's Quote?

candy

May 13, 2008
" A house divided against itself cannot stand. I believe this government cannot endure permanently half slave and half free." Examine the significance of this statement by Abraham Lincoln in light of the growing sectionalism in the pre-Civil WAr United States.

Please be very specific so I can kind of get the question in order to do an essay on it thank you!

This was a way of acknowledging there was severe sectionalism within the Country. This was significant because rulers of the time would only address this type of issue in the House or Congress. Lincoln is basically admitting that the Country cannot survive the way it is now, a huge deal for the President to say that at the time.

The north and the south would soon be at war, because of their differences mainly the right to have slaves. The war was fought over slavery, and if any one says otherwise they are a liar, and a so called revisionist (a person that's tries to rewrite history favorably) to save face. The war would happen because the south wanted to keep slavery a live, because it was so profitable, and in their best interest. Abraham Lincoln, didn't really care about slavery, but about the contras division. He wanted to work out a plan, but knew that he would also have to call on the slaves to fight for the north, if it came to it. Lincoln was a shrewed politician, who always thought three steps a head of his composition, some times even four times a head. The northern soldiers could have never conceived a black soldier in the northern Army. Let a lone, trusted to kill white confederate soldiers, and lay down their arms at the end of the war. Of which is what they did. And even fought for free, after being offered five dollars less, than their fellow white northern solders. And lincoln was so moved by this gesture, that he promised every slave freedom after the war, and 40acres and a muil. And after hundreds of years, black Americas still waiting for this promise to be fulfilled (reparations ) by the trillions is what america owes its African citizens. They were so up set about it, that they killed Lincoln! And called him a nigger lover for doing it. Why do you think that the penny is brown, and his face is on it, and its the lowest form of american currency?

Back