Screen on the Samsung M520 turns completely white when it's opened...?

JessicaS

May 13, 2008
I own the Samsung M520, and whenever I flip the screen up it turns completely white and cannot see anyhting. Does anyone know the cause of this??
The screen is white no matter if the phone is flipped up or not.

Same with my phone. It keeps going white, and I have to turn it off and on.

Me too, mine has been white for probably 18 hours straight now and will not go back

it is common. i am having this problem with this phone as well. i talked to a sprint guy. he said that it might be a short circuit, and if they can't fix it, it is still under warranty for a year.

mine too they said i have to get a new phone. the same model but its free.

The phone is a peice of bull!! My screen went white but when you wait for the screen to gooff it will go backto normal but eventually it will stay white no matter what.you can get a replacement but it will do the same thingin a matter of time,so i would recomend a whole different phone,get rid of samsung

solutions + reasons + what you can do

i have had this problem for about half a year and i've grown used to it. therefore i've also found a few (cheesy, but ocassionally functional) solutions:

1. slide the phone up and slide it back down. press and hold the center button for 2.5 seconds and then release and press the center button again. press and hold the end button until the phone turns off. turn it back on by holding the end button again.
[~20% temporary fix success]

2. make sure the phone is closed and the screen is not lit. open the phone as fast as you can without breaking it (before i had this problem only when i slid it up slowly. sliding it fast somtimes works)
[~50% temporary fix success, if you have JUST encountered the problem]

3. make sure the phone is closed and the screen is not lit. connect the phone charger (to light the screen up). this occassionally works because the white screen is caused by a loose connection only when you slide it up. sometimes keeping the phone down does not break the LCD connection. it should work when the charger connects.
[~70% temporary fix success, if you have JUST encountered the problem]

4. let your phone be for 24+ hours and try not to light the screen up in any way (best to just turn it off). leave it off for about 2 days straight and try again. this has worked for me merely a few times.
[~30% temporary fix success]

5. sometimes the connection between the LCD and phone is not completely broken but is merely insecure. very rarely, shaking the device vigorously helps. this has worked a few times.
[~5% temporary fix success]

**WHY?**
the four possible reasons to why you're getting this white screen:
1. physical abuse (dropping it, throwing it, other forms of physical damage)
2. water damage (short-term exposure to water)
3. overuse (sliding it up and down too much can damage the LCD connection)
4. quality of the phone is simply not up to bat. if you use it at a normal rate for about 3 months, sometimes it will get this problem simply because of the poor quality of this phone.

**POSSIBLE PERMANENT FIX?**
for me, i have had this problem for so long that my phone has (just recently) refused to work to any of my above tricks. at this point, my phone only FIXES ITSELF at random times of the week. but when it does fix itself, DO NOT close the device by sliding it down. go to menu>settings>power save and turn it power save mode ON. whenever you are finished sending a text, calling someone, or whatever you're doing with your phone, do not close it. just leave it open and let it sit there until the power save mode automatically turns the screen off for you. if you don't close the phone you shouldn't encounter any white screen problems because you aren't sliding it up and down.

this is the best solution so far but it may become irritating because you can't close the phone and it can't fit in your pocket or it gets closed in your pocket etc.

**WHAT CAN I DO?**
you can talk to sprint or samsung and get it replaced.

i've heard from another online forum that he asked sprint to sign him up for a montly reccuring warranty replacement plan for only 4 dollars a month. once he signed up for the plan he got his phone replaced for free.

call the people over at samsung and see what they can do. i haven't talked to them (and don't plan to either because we are switching out of sprint to t-mobile) so you'll just have to ask others or see for yourself.

**CONTACT**
if you have another solution or you have a question for me, send me an email.
[email protected]

heh =)

samsung m520

my phone's doing the same thing. it started about a week ago when my mother dropped it but it would usually just go back to normal after letting it sit a minute, now the white screen has been there since late last night, i doubt it'll work again. I've already had this phone replaced by sprint once for the buttons messing up.

M520 Whitescreen nightmare

Sprint gave me the following options :
1) pay 100.00 deductable to get a refurbished unit
2) extend my contract for two more years and get a new cell
3) pay 200.00 to cancel account early
4) purchase a new unit 269.oo
5) add an account for 9.99 and get a new cell for free
6) there is nothing else they can do - you need to pay

same exact thing has been happening to my phone. it sucks and i hate it. i always to keep taking out the battery and soft reseting my phone for it actually to work.

m520 solutions

Thank you for your quick fixes though temporary at least they bought me enough time to recover my personal information such as contacts lists and check my text messages! Relief!

M520 white screen fix

the white screen is caused by a broken LCD cable. The part number is gh97-07715A. The cable costs about $6 at TESSCO (1-800-472-7373) and it takes about 10 minutes to replace. you have to set up an individual user account (takes about 1 minute) on-line..they will not do it over the phone... I have fixed two of these M520 phones. I have twin daughters and both phones broke with white screen. Also one of the phones had bad images on the camera so this cable fixed that too.....trust me...it's the fix..you do have to use a soldering gun to unsolder two spots that hold the cable in place, but that is it....the rest is just about 12 screws and popping the plastic apart....it's broke anyway....much better than renewing your contract or buying a new phone for between $50 - $200. There are six screws on back of phone...pop it apart....two more screws when you slide it up......two more screws by camera top part you will have to pop off two plastic covers to get to these two screws....the screws are easy to see. Pop up the first little cable on the side of the electronics board, pop up the electronics board...remove keypad and silver plastic piece, and remove the two side buttons...pop up the bad lcd cable..underside of electronics board...everything comes apart easy...pop open the plastic housing from behind the lcd screen and camera....unsolder the two spots that hold the cable in place, pop up the tab, replace cable - push in place/push tab down, solder down the two tabs, feed the new cable through the plastic housing...put phone back together..don't forget the side buttons...the side buttons only go in one way..they have small tab on the bottom that they fit into....its easy.....as long as you have a soldering iron and a small phillips screwdriver, and a small flathead to pop open the phone plastic housing.

fuh there is no use for mine today im so tired of it i really am the phone jus stays white forever now and am going on my third one it's pointless

My M520 has done that. it stareted out just occaunally going whit. Now i had to get a new phone because this one has eben white for about 5 months now. im still trying to fix it. any help? i have already had this phone replaced 1ce for the same problem then about 4 weeks after i got it, it happened again.

same exact thing has been happening to my phone. it sucks and i hate it. i always to keep taking out the battery and soft reseting my phone for it actually to work.
How do you soft reset the phone. the screen is white so i cnat see how to do it?

I have come to hate this phone

Sadly, I too am having this problem. This phone has done nothing but piss me off. When I first got the phone, it would freeze on me if I was in the middle of doing something and someone would call. I would have to let the call go to voice mail and then take the battery out and power back up just to call the person back. Also the sliding feature of the phone wore out rather quickly. I am now having the WHITE SCREEN issue!! The other day the screen just blanked out on me, at first I thought I was going crazy because, when I would show someone, the screen was just fine. It then kicked back on, and I found that sliding it a few times would cause the screen to come back. Just last night, at around 9pm the screen turned white and its not been 24 hrs and still no screen. I can make phone calls, if i know the number I am dialing, however I can't see a damn thing. Unfortunately for me, I have had the phone for over a year, did not buy the insurance and had an issue with my contract and my parents bought it from me, eliminating all of the upgrade credits I accumulated :-( now Im stuck with a POS phone that doesn't work at all. I usually go with LG and from now on I will no longer invest in a SAMSUNG phone... it truely is a piece of $#!^

My has done the same thing. This is my third one in the past year. And it's doing it again. I have the waranty plan on my phone, but the problem is..they don;t make the phone anymore! They replaced it with a newer model. so my warranty plan doesn't cover the newer model. The only way to get a new phone without paying so much money is getting a new plan. My plan expires in march as it is, and I leave for the basic in march. so there's no use in getting a new plan. My quick fix was getting a cute hairband and puting it around the phone, while it is sliden up. This way I remind myself not to close my phone. But...it feel off my bed this morning and closed on it's own. and now I'm backto the WSOD.

I'm sick of the bullshit associated with this phone, I already had to send it away for this problem and it's back, completely white and now it has a bunch of colored lines running through the screen I AM DONE! >(

this is stupid. somebody needs to help me because my phone has a white screen from water damage, i need serious help

Samsung 520 White Screen

It is the flex cable that wears down from opening and closing the unit. The flex cable goes for about $6.00 bulks the tech will charge by the hour whatever rate is in the market. I changed mine and its working fine. This is a design malfunction of the unit and Sprint should be made to pay or Samsung should replace free of charge. ( By the way they do if the unit is less than a year old. Call them let them know ...

Back