In the past 2 years my life has changed dramatically, from no fault of my

lisaloulou6969

Aug 5, 2008
own. How do i pick up the pieces? Almost 2 years ago, on friday, I lost my beautiful younger sister to suicide. She left behind 2 very wonderful children, that i gladly take a part in raising, along with their father. I have also recently lost my grandpa. I have also lost touch with a guy that i am madly in love with, that i cant seem to ever get to love me back. I feel like my life is slowly sinking into a never ending hole of sorrow. I would just like some advise on how to get through all this and still be left standing with my heart and soul intact. I also seem to be struggling with alcoholism. It has gotten much worse since the loss of my sister. I want to change my life around completly and find the good in life again. But i have no clue where to begin. Any words of wisdom or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening to me.

1. Put down the bottle. This will be hard if you are in fact an alcoholic. If it's hard, go to AA meetings and get some help there. The people there won't be hurtful to you or rag on you, but will help you with your struggles and cheer with your triumphs.

2. If you cannot find the man you're madly in love with, particularly if he does not share those feelings, find someone new. Maybe you could meet someone at an AA club event (i.e. no alcohol there), church, or other event that you attend.

3. Start saving some money. This will provide a cushion against financial difficulty, which can add to your list of problems.

4. Find a therapist and talk to him/her. That should go far in helping address some of the difficulties you have with the loss of your sister and how you lost her.

5. Take up a diary where you can write down some of your hurt feelings and struggles. It helps when you identify the difficult parts so you know specifically what you have to work on and what the hard parts are.

6. Seek solace with family and friends. Loved ones are a powerhouse of support that too many people don't use when times are tough. I don't think I'd have made it through my own time of trial were it not for my friends.

Hang on and hang tough. Things *will* get better...maybe not tomorrow or the next day, but they will improve.

-Bart

Back