Police Burtality or Preformance of Duty???

Apr 17, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVW5_PJHzR4

Do you see the cops doing thier job, or being brutal?

I see a little of both personally with a focus on the job part. The video is taken on a cell phone by an on looker. Most likely the person with the phone came upon the scene without any idea of the in's and out's of what was going on. I've been a cop so I have an inside view. I'm curious what ya'll think.

With any luck Dr Syn and Narcsarge will comment.

Unneccesary violence from what I know(the video).

The guys wrists were both under control, so where was the need to punch him?

From the news cast I saw regarding this video. The guy being arrested was a known gang member. Gang members are known to carry weapons, and how to remove weapons from a triple restraint holster worn by an officer.

Here is the written artical from the news cast.

http://www.komotv.com/news/national/4611052.html

Another stations

http://www.kirotv.com/news/10290435/detail.html

Another view

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/09/lapd.investigation/index.html

You only see 14 sec. you don't see what lead up to the officers effecting an arrest. If this guy tried to take the officers gun, resisted arrest by fighting, was wanted for a felony, they could have used deadly force. Punching this guy in the face to get him to comply is less force than a hole in your head from a gun.

Kew-Do

The other thing that I notice is that it's pretty obvious he was not cooperating prior to the start of the video. They wouldn't be sitting on him face up without handcuffs if he were following instructions from them.

That is the problem with these quick clips. You never know what led up to the circumstances of the actions of the Officers and Suspect. Hence the need for a check and balance in the form of an investigation. If the investigation leads to the Officer being in the wrong then so be it. If he wasn't then too bad for the suspect because all the suspect had to do was comply. I'm sorry, but when the suspect kept repeating he can't breathe....he can breathe.

All three of the links aI posted say about the same thing with a few kerenals being new or different. One of the things mentioned in the CNN link was that the written report from the officers mention punching the arrested in the face. They admitted to it beofre the video was made public.

If you are the (A-Typical) Officer, you only learn defensive techniques and subject control techniques in the academy. Very few officers really practice tactical self defense or continue to exercise on a regular basis, or as they should. although there were alternatives to socking this guy in the face, when you are up against a guy who is resisting, you do what you have to control the situation.

Kew-Do

And that in of itself can be their saving grace if they were able to justify such use of force as reasonable for the circumstances.

Yes you're right, it also depends in what State you are in. It really can depend on the officer's articulation to the threat of lethality, as it pertains to the use of force and it's continuum.

Kew-Do

The first clip I think the punches were not necessary but then I don't know what the events leading up to that were so its difficult to say.

This clip though definately shows brutality at the end of the clip when the police officer needlessly smacks the guy across the knee when he has already been clubbed to the ground.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9hS0ZhpFPA&mode=related&search=

I didn't see anything really over the edge at all. If you have never been an officer or been put in that position, it is very hard to say what you would do. When there is a coofftopicnd to disperse and you choose not to move or you stay in that area, stikes on the common peronial (Thigh) are permitted. The two (idiots)...people at the end of the tape who chose to get into a tussel infront of the officers didn't reply with coofftopicnds either. These small little groups may not look dangerous, but have turned into very aggressive mobs coming at police officers. Officers are taught to create a psychological presence which I feel they did in this video. I give the officers an A+ in controlling this mob without the situation getting too out of control.

Kew-Do

Qoute from Holyheadjch...

"If someone was kneeling on your throat you'd be resisting too."

Once again, you really do not know what lead up to this (vid). If this guy was not following coofftopicnds from the officer after arrest. This subject wouldn't of had to have anyone on his throat to resist if he would of just complied. And the idea that well the officers had control of his hands means nothing. It is the goal to have a person "cuffed" so they will be no longer able to hurt self or others. what were the officers suppose to do, hold his hands all the way to the jail for booking? If you have never been an officers, it is hard for you to understand.

Respectfully submitted,

Kew-Do

This is really simple.

On the ground, being restrained (bad enough the puncher has the perp pinned by the throat with his KNEE), then starts pummeling him for no apparent reason. Oh, and it's the LAPD, which has a crap track record when it comes to brutality.

Not giving the cops the benefit of the doubt on this one, it's brutality. They went way overboard; I don't care if he's non-compliant. Perp restrained, cop got no excuse for ground and pound (I'll assume a somewhat valid reason for the knee in the throat).

I hope the family finds a good Section 1983 attorney.

Right now, those ARE the facts. Cameras don't lie. And if the cops ain't talking (oh shock, they rarely do in my experience), then a vid is all we got. The claims about "going for a gun" and "resisting" are specious at best; I hear that crap all the time from arresting officers who go a bit too overboard.

Last one of these I had, I had four good eyewitnesses who saw the cops beat the crap out of my client for no good reason. Buh-bye criminal charges It's been happening far too frequently all over the country, a message needs to be sent.

EDIT: Now, in all fairness, 90%+ of all the cops I deal with are GOOD cops. It's freaks like this who give officers a bad name.

Back