Difference between snowmobile two stroke oil and regular two stroke oil?

Spin

Nov 4, 2008
Can i use two stroke Castrol super snowmobile oil in my weed whacker its a 26cc homelite, brand new, takes 50:1 and the same mixture ratio is provided on the back of the bottle. it also doesn't say not to use it in weed whackers so what's the difference?

There is not much difference between the two except the price and the grade of oil they use.

Snowmobile 2 stroke oil is a higher grade of 2 stroke oil made for use in very cold temperatures so that it remains well mixed with the gas and doesnt separate in cold temps where as 2 stroke oil for weed wackers,chainsaws and boat motors is a lower grade oil made for use in normal temperatures where such separation doesnt occur.

As long as you follow the correct mixture ratio for your weedwacker you will be fine, I use Snowmobile 2 stroke oil in my 60HP Johnson outboard during duck and goose season because temps on the water in winter can reach 20 below zero and standard 2 stroke oil will begin to separate from the gas at those temps and settle in the bottom of the tanks.

most liquids have a freeze point and a boil point- the snowmobile 2 stroke oil mix will stay liquid with out ice crystals in much colder weather than standard 2 stroke oil mix but both will Lube and burn at the same mix ratio in any 2 stroke engine in warm weather

Back