Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jolie and Gizmo are wanting something better and are asking for your help?

I have two small dogs and they are currently eating Purina Beneful dog food. Is this a good dog food to be feeding my small dogs (Papillon (5 yrs) and a Papillon/Chihuahua mix (3 yrs)) they are about 10 lbs combined weight. I have tried a bunch of other dog food but neither of my dogs will eat it, they just stare at their bowl and look at me like "what you think I am going to eat this".

I have also been feeding them (like once every three months) the Beneful wet food. I assumed that this was better for them because it is actual food (Beef Stew). Is this good for them as well? I want my dogs to live long and happy lives but I cannot seem to find a dog food that will make this possible for them.

They are both in-side dogs who have a bunch of energy and have a kitten company who also "sneaks" their food.

Any recommendations and advice is more than welcome and greatly appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Beneful is a decent low quality dog food. If my dog absolutely had to eat a cheaper brand dog food this is what I would feed her. But alas, I cannot due to food allergies. I used to feed my dog Beneful (Playful Life, Healthy Radiance and Healthy Harvest *they don't make the last one anymore*) with some squishy food every month. But her allergies got worse, and that's when I read the label. The main reason your dogs love it, is because of all the fillers that are in it. "Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat" are the first 5 ingredients, its not until after all of these that a source of meat is mentioned. If you're on a budget and your dogs have no food allergy or anything of the sort you can look into Purina One. Its a little bit more healthy than Beneful. They also do have a small breed formula which would be easier on your little ones. Or ProPlan Focus Toy Breed which is designed for active small breed dogs.

I feed my dog Blue Buffalo, again due to food allergies to rice and chicken. She's been eating the Wilderness Salmon formula which is a grain-free higher quality food. If you want to feed your dogs something with a higher quality look into blue, do keep in mind that because its higher quality you can only buy it at pet stores for quite a price. Blue has plenty of small breed dog dry, wet foods and treats.

Hope any of my rambling helps!

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, Beneful is a very, very poor quality dog food. You need to find something without corn, wheat, soy or animal by products. Read ingredients lists. You will not find a good food unless you go to a pet store.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Iams Beneful both crap. Look for a better quality food with meat as the first ingredient. Wet food is not good. Raw is best