Jolie and Gizmo are wanting something better and are asking for your help?

JolielGizmo

Jun 18, 2013
I have two small dogs and they are currently eating Purina Beneful dog food. Is this a good dog food to be feeding my small dogs (Papillon (5 yrs) and a Papillon/Chihuahua mix (3 yrs)) they are about 10 lbs combined weight. I have tried a bunch of other dog food but neither of my dogs will eat it, they just stare at their bowl and look at me like "what you think I am going to eat this".

I have also been feeding them (like once every three months) the Beneful wet food. I assumed that this was better for them because it is actual food (Beef Stew). Is this good for them as well? I want my dogs to live long and happy lives but I cannot seem to find a dog food that will make this possible for them.

They are both in-side dogs who have a bunch of energy and have a kitten company who also "sneaks" their food.

Any recommendations and advice is more than welcome and greatly appreciated.

Beneful is a decent low quality dog food. If my dog absolutely had to eat a cheaper brand dog food this is what I would feed her. But alas, I cannot due to food allergies. I used to feed my dog Beneful (Playful Life, Healthy Radiance and Healthy Harvest *they don't make the last one anymore*) with some squishy food every month. But her allergies got worse, and that's when I read the label. The main reason your dogs love it, is because of all the fillers that are in it. "Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat" are the first 5 ingredients, its not until after all of these that a source of meat is mentioned. If you're on a budget and your dogs have no food allergy or anything of the sort you can look into Purina One. Its a little bit more healthy than Beneful. They also do have a small breed formula which would be easier on your little ones. Or ProPlan Focus Toy Breed which is designed for active small breed dogs.

I feed my dog Blue Buffalo, again due to food allergies to rice and chicken. She's been eating the Wilderness Salmon formula which is a grain-free higher quality food. If you want to feed your dogs something with a higher quality look into blue, do keep in mind that because its higher quality you can only buy it at pet stores for quite a price. Blue has plenty of small breed dog dry, wet foods and treats.

Hope any of my rambling helps!

No, Beneful is a very, very poor quality dog food. You need to find something without corn, wheat, soy or animal by products. Read ingredients lists. You will not find a good food unless you go to a pet store.

Iams Beneful both crap. Look for a better quality food with meat as the first ingredient. Wet food is not good. Raw is best

Back