What are some Australian style names?

~@~Martina~@~

May 9, 2013
Is there any Australian styles names? There are heaps of American ones, eg: Arizona, Hudson, Dakota, etc, but is there any Australian ones??

BQ: What is so popular naming kids after US states?
At my nieces school, there are heaps (in Australian Primary School). There is Arizona, Nebraska, Montana, Virginia etc
@Lilly_Rose: I am Australian, I do think that Tayla is more common as well

Like named after places?
Some common ones are Sydney, Adelaide, Darwin, Victoria (but that was around before the state), Tas or Taz... It'd probably be acceptable to name a girl Perth...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_place_names_of_Aboriginal_origin

There's some pretty cool place names on here that would make cute names for a kid, like Garah, Kambah, Nowra or Kirrawee.

you mean like Australian place names? Sydney for a start

BQ: actually Virginia was a name before then! but apart from that, no idea! I personally don't like them

We have pretty much the same name trends as America, UK and New Zealand. We're not that different, you know.

I suppose a major difference I've noticed is spellings of names. Because of our accents names like Taylor can be pronounced as Tayla. Tayla is a hugely common variant of Taylor, probably more common than Taylor itself.

And there's are states and cities that are used as names...Victoria, Adelaide, Sydney etc.

BQ: I know a Dakota, Michigan and Indiana. I don't think the trend is that common, as opposed to the amount of children and the other trends. Along with these girls, I know people with other place names such as Paris, Vienna, Chelsea, Georgia, Adelaide, Victoria, Sydney, Milan, etc. So I don't just think its U.S states that are popular, but place names in general.
:)

Back