I am looking to purchase a recreational/sport mountain bike and need help...

Mark

May 13, 2008
...choosing the right bike for my needs? I want to purchase a mountain bike that can take me on dirt trails, over small jumps, down/up hills, and throughout town. I am 22 years old, weigh 195lbs, and am 6' 3" tall. I won't have a decent cash flow until I graduate from college so I cannot spend more than $650 on a bike.

I'm currently look at either the Trek 3700 Disc, Giant Revel 1, or the Specialized Hardrock Disc. I am completely new to this so I am wanting advice from those avid cyclists that have far more experience in this then I do. This is going to be my starter bike. Eventually I would like to purchase a full suspension mountain bike that can handle rough trails, jumps, and steep hills. I like the Trek brand, but I have read a lot of good things about the Giant Revel 1. What are your guy's recommendations?
Also, what are your guy's thoughts on 29ers? Would I be better off with a 29er because of my height?

I am personally a Trek fan but I have ridden a few Giants and they handle pretty well when you are beginning biking.
I would go for the Giant just because whenever I rode a Trek it is a more advanced bike for the most part and a Giant is a great bike to get into biking. I hate Specialized, I see more broken specialized bikes in my shop than any other type of bike.

Back