I am a girl looking for a sport/street bike?

maegan

Apr 22, 2008
I am a girl looking for a sport/street bike?
I am 5'11 and 140p. I ride horses and play volleyball so I am not to weak. I want to know what kind of bike should I be looking at. Also any thing else in helping me find a bike. Like I shouldn't look at one over so many miles and stuff like that. :) thank you

Just because you ride horses and play volleyball doesn't mean you're any good at riding a motorcycle. I would NOT get a sports bike first time around. They have way too much power for beginners to handle at first. If you really want a sports bike I recommend you start out with something used, dependable, cruiser-like, that you won't mind dropping/wrecking, and after you've mastered it then sell it to save up for a sports bike.

a ninja 250 will do wonders for you. you hardly weigh anything so your going to get great gas mileage and you can probably bring that baby up to about close to 100mph which is way more than what you need and their cheap and they hardly depreciate in value since someone is always wanting to learn. it will teach you more about the road than anything bigger would. especially if you never ridden before.

Don't listen to all these guys that tel you you should get a 250. get a big bike the first time and save your money, it only goes as fast as you make it. don't worry about weight that are all balanced amazingly, my fist bike weighed 450lbs and it was harder to balance than my Harley and my bike now has at least 250lbs on it. personally, i would not buy a sport bike unless it is new, this is because these guys rag the hell out of them 9 i am going to get a few thumbs down for that remark). look for obvious signs of abuse like dents and so forth if the owner doesn't take care of the cosmetic parts he most likely isn't going to take care of the bike mechanically ( i bet i get a few more thumbs down for that remark). look at gaskets for oil leaking look at the pipes it they look like that have been burnt and it continues down the pipe good chance the bike was red lined more than once. some discoloring is ok. Miles range with size 250 usually wont last as long as 1200 NOTICE I SAID USUALLY ( that's for the haters) i had a 550 that had over 64,000 miles on it and it was awesome. Also if you are looking at resale value well Harley's diminish the least mostly because there name is so big. I stand firm on get what you want the first time, if you fall in love with an R1 don't let some tool talk you into getting the 250 ninja ( Not my style i like more the sportster look)

Just because you ride horses doesn't justify anything. A sportbike has wayyyyy more power, than your horse. And volleyball? Really? What does that have to do w anything?

Don't get a CBR600rr, unless you want to kill yourself. Or any large engined bike for that matter. And the guy who said that you should just skip ahead to a bigger bike really doesn't know what he's talking about. Motorcycles are extremely powerful and dangerous machines, and you need to get used to handling the weight and controls before moving up to the larger engined bikes.

I'm a beginner rider myself that found a great 450cc Honda cruiser which is nice because I can sit upright, the gearing is more for the highway - making it easier to handle the power, and it's a very reliable bike (I worship Honda btw, haha). Although, I would recommend maybe a smaller bike for a learner however (I use mine for getting from town to town, so lots of highway miles, which is why I went for the bigger engine). It really does depend on what you'll be using this bike for. If you're going around town, either a Kawasaki Ninja 250r or the new Honda CBR250 would be great bikes. They've got a lot of pickup, they're light weight, cost is relatively low, and of course 70+ mpg. If you're going to be doing more long distance riding, I would say that up around 500cc should be safe for a new rider, but you will need to be a lot more aware and cautious about operating the bike. You'll need to be on the alert constantly and respect the bike.

I would recommend getting a cheaper, older bike as your first so if you drop it, you won't lose much sleep over it. They don't depreciate in value really either, so there shouldn't be too much of a worry there. I'd recommend a bike from the early 80's, they were really good then. And specifically, if you want that sport bike feel, maybe try finding a Suzuki GS model or a Honda Nighthawk. They were the precursors to the crotch rockets and the Nighthawk had 250cc, 400cc, 450cc models (there were larger ones, but why mention them).

Before I finish here, I just want to say that you'll be best off with a Japanese bike, because they were so reliable and are actually pretty common. A harley might look and sound cool, but they aren't worth the price and break down a lot (I know, I'm from Milwaukee). Buell is just a branch of Harley and have a lot of reliability problems too.

Good luck in your search! And remember Craigslist is your best friend when it comes to buying bikes! Give your area a look!

Back