What meals to cook for two spending $200 a month?

Here are two:

Taco Soup Recipe

1/2 lb lean ground beef
1/2 package taco seasoning mix
1 package ranch dressing mix
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, undrained
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, undrained
1 (15 ounce) can corn, undrained
1 (14 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained

Directions:

1 Brown hamburger meat. If you use 85-15, you don't have to drain it
2 Add taco seasoning to meat as it's browning (if you're not draining it). Add ranch dressing mix after the meat is browned, mix thoroughly.
3 Then add black beans, pinto beans, corn and tomatoes, stir together.
4 Simmer over low heat till bubbly. Simmer for about 30 minutes total.
5 Serve with tortillas/chips, grated cheddar cheese, chopped onions (green, too) and sour cream as garnish

I make this enough so that I have the large size taco seasoning and Hidden Valley from the membership stores, so it's not as expensive. I double the recipe using 32 oz cans, and freeze the rest. The thing that's interesting is all the variations - hominy, kidney or BBQ (even Limas in one) beans, Mexican or creamed corn, Rotel tomatoes. This is the one I prefer.

Adding the taco mix to the meat as it browns makes it a bit spicier.

and

Penne Arrabiata - feeds 2 if served with bread and salad.

Put a 4 Qt pot of water (add 1 Tbsp salt) on to boil.

1 Tbsp olive oil ( or whatever oil - not butter)
1 14 1/2 oz can petite diced tomatoes (if you want to peel and chop about 1 1/2 lbs fresh tomatoes, go right ahead)
mince or press 2-3 large garlic cloves (do NOT use jarred chopped garlic!)
1/8 tsp hot red pepper flakes (or to taste)
1Tbsp chopped Italian parsley. Or regular parsley. Or 1 tsp dried parsley

In an 8"" skillet, heat oil to med. When oil surface shimmers, put minced garlic in, saute, stirring, for about 30-45 seconds. Take the pan off the burner if you need to. Do not brown the garlic! Add the hot pepper flakes and saute for about 20-30 seconds more, stirring constantly. Add diced tomatoes. When mixture begins to boil, lower temp to simmer.

Water should be boiling - add 2 portions of penne. (I like mini penne) Cook to al dente, appr 8-9 minutes or to package directions

Stir the tomatoes occasionally. Add the parsley just before you drain the pasta.

Drain the pasta, plate, and spoon sauce over pasta. Serve with a hearty bread and salad of choice.

You can adjust both the garlic amount and the hot pepper flakes to suit you.

That is not much of a budget & not knowing the cost of food in the US I can only offer a few suggestions.I gather chicken is one of your less expensive meats so I would stick with that,ground beef & canned tuna & salmon,the cheaper cans.There are many dishes you can make with those items if you also get generic brand pastas & rice,frozen mixed vegies & jars of pasta sauces,chicken tonight etc.Make sure you always have bread in the pantry and try the markets for cheaper fruits & potatoes etc. Leave cookies & soda off the list,they are unnecessary.Instead for snacks have fruit.Sorry I can't add more,but as I said,I just don't know the price of food there.

Look for food on sale, buy as much as you can and freeze. Frozen vegetables are often on sale. make recipes like stuffed peppers and meatloaf that stretch the food you have. Homemade soup is economical.
And not to piss you off, but beans are your best friend on this kind of budget. There are lots of options beyond beans and rice-lots of mexican dishes, add them to salads, on toast for breakfast, cooked with pork belly or neck bone and served with corn bread, split pea soup.

Back