gun newbie question here.......concerning the hammer on a revolver?

MOOCHIE

Feb 23, 2013
in the movies, it seems anytime someones about to shoot someone else with a revolver they always cock the gun first.
but in the few real life situations i've been around revolvers, they just pulled the trigger.

what are the reasons for cocking and not cocking? i mean under what situation would you cock it first?
as a small framed female a 38 revover feels awesome to shoot, even though it rattles my teeth.

It's about accuracy, if you pull the hammer back instead of just pulling the trigger then you'll be firing it just like a single action. The less pressure it takes to pull the trigger and fire the gun, the more accurate you will be. The more lbs. of pressure required to pull the trigger for the hammer to release can cause you to accidentally pull the gun to the left or right at the last moment. So, usually when I shoot a revolver at the range I shoot it like a single action and pull the hammer back every time, but in a self-defense scenario just keep pulling and dump 6 bullets into them...

Back