Why are religions usually so passive and unable to prevent evil men from taking

Thalia

Mar 22, 2008
power in a country? Even Protestant Christianity has failed repeatedly. Germany of course was a predominately Protestant Christian country and yet most of the people supported or at the least passively accepted Hitler's rise to power. Why are religions usually so passive when faced with the rise of wholly evil men?
Surely a church-going protestant country would have some morale backbone.
@Logically Illogical
No, I'm not attacking religion. I'm asking why this sort of thing would happen in a country where most of the population at the time were regular church-goers?
I could understand why this would happen in an atheist country because there is no definitive belief system to anchor morality.
So the question is why Christianity would also fail in this regard when the religion's moral beliefs are most needed -- to strongly oppose the rise of a regime which is wholly evil and committing evil acts?

The question in this message assumes that most Christians are taught in their churches Christian beliefs which frequently is not the case making it difficult for members of these congregations to detect evil.

The best current example of this phenomenon is the support many Christians have for a presidential candidate who believes that salvation is found through professing faith in the divinity of the Mormon false prophet Joseph Smith and who regularly advocates for a cut back of assistance to the poor while at the same time diverting money for a massive build up of the military to increase its capacity to murder and maim increasingly large masses of people.

Jesus taught us that "by their fruits you shall know them" but that will work only if you have been taught of the evil of not helping the poor and murdering ones "enemies".

JUST ONE OF NUMEROUS CHRISTIAN TEACHINGS IGNORED IN MOST CHRISTIAN AND ALL MORMON CHURCHES:

Luke 6:27
But to you that hear I say, Love your enemies; do good to those that hate you.

:close look:

Back