How are people still strongly devoted to Christianity and other religions?

PeterK

May 18, 2008
How are people still strongly devoted to Christianity and other religions?
This has been bothering me for a while now. There might be better forums to discuss this but I am not aware of them. Before I continue I would like to say that I don't know what happens after death. Any religion or science belief is possible. Something must have created the universe after all. This is about organized religion and how I feel about it.

1) There are around 20 current "world religions" out there so far. 1000's of other beliefs that have come and gone in the past. Is this not proof enough that no one really knows what happens after death?

2) Was the bible not written by man some 60-90 years after Jesus was killed? There were Moses 10 commandments and other books prior; however the Bible, in all its glory was written by men many years later. It very well could have been translated poorly and many stories changed. If you played the game where you whisper a sentence to one person and he whispers it to another and so on, the sentence is nowhere near the first one whispered. See what I'm saying? Also many beliefs such as Noah’s ark are more like fairy tales. We grew up and realized Santa was a lie. Why not this?

3) People were very poorly educated if at all when Jesus was around. If you sent Chris Angle back in time and he did his magic tricks people would think he was God like as-well. I’ve seen Chris Angle walk on water in Vegas but people don’t worship him. Furthermore know a days if someone said they were Gods son or heard the voice of God, well that person would be getting checked out by doctors. Why it is that things are so obvious to us now but yet we take the word of people 1000's of years ago who would not even be smart enough to sit in our kids elementary classes.

4) This is my holy grail of why I wish organized religion was a distant memory for man. War. As far back as I could research humans have used God like figures as a way to warp people’s minds into hating others to the point of murdering them. If only there were a way to know the number of people slaughtered in the name of God. Both sides preaching to their drones that the afterlife will be waiting for them with open arms. Innocent people to this day are being murdered and torn from their homes because they don't believe in the "right" God.

5) Sins..... I'm a paramedic. I love helping people and never could dream of hurting anyone. I love my family and friends and I try to live a good life; however if i do not except Jesus as my Lord and savior he will condemn me to hell? How is this fair. With all of the confusion in the world about religion you would think he would be more understanding to good people if they don't attend church. Is a life of civil service and love to others not enough to make Jesus happy? If he is real then I love him but forgive me if my mind is free enough to think about other possibility about the afterlife.

I hope I did not insult anyone. Was not my intention. If believing in one of the many Gods in this point of time makes you a better person and makes you feel better about life then by all means love, pray and sing to your God; however I just see the world in a different way and how religion has hindered humanities right to evolve as a single organism that should not murder each other for ones free thinking. For an organism that attacks itself is a doomed one. Is it so hard for people to just say "I have never been dead, so I can not presume to understand the afterlife. But let’s not worry about the afterlife to the point of ridicule and self torment but focus on our current life, a life we are lucky to have. So let’s forget about race, religion, sexual preference or how much money we have and work together in making a better world. For as long as we have things that we consider reason to separate us we are never going to survive"

Thank you for reading.
Yak...that's all you got out of this? How disappointing.

Back