gym member newbie help?

mehe

Sep 6, 2009
so, i just started going to the gym today. im 16and pretty lanky and scrawny so..yeah. anyways, i went in today, did about 15-20 minutes of cardio and then i kind of just felt..lost. i walked around the weight training area just staring at people in awe and confusion. i tried doing i think bicep curls (i really dont even know) and all i could do was 15lbs (2 sets of 10 i think) and lat pull on 40lbs (3 sets of 10) because thats pretty much all i really knew how to do. i sat down and then got up 5 seconds later at about 5 machines. i just felt like such a newbie and so weak and i didnt know what the hell i was doing..any help?

Most gyms offer 1-3 sessions with personal trainers when you sign-up for free or for very cheap. They can really help you come up with a routine that works for you, make sure your not doing more harm than good and teach you new exercises. You can also always go up to the front desk, let them know your brand new and ask if they can explain how some of the machines work. Most gym staff are full of endorphins, so super perky and helpful. If all else fails- ask a friend or your gym teacher to show you some stuff on the equipment at school and do the same at the gym.

If you are scrawny what i would recomend is Lifting Heavy with Low reps so if you can do 15lb bicep curls, you should consider doing 20 or 25 lb bicep curls for about 7 or 8 reps and 3 sets. These are some workouts that will help with muscle mass- Bench press, Squating, Power Cleans, Deadlift, Leg Press, and Military Press

If you want to get muscle mass i would recomend eating about 2,100-2,500 calories and get some whey or soy protein, in order to gain muscle you need to eat ALOT

Also try to get as much sleep as possible, your muscle grow more while you sleep then while you are awake.

Back