Need advise - the pressure of kumite competing - knockdown karate?

knockdown

Nov 14, 2011
So I've been doing knockdown karate for a year now. I believe I'm the only one in my dojo who hasn't competed yet in kumite.

To be honest, I don't have the cardio or stamina. I'm a chronic insomniac. I only sleep 3 hours a day but because I love karate, I train regularly even without sleep. I swear I could almost always going to pass out from exhaustion, but I pace myself. I have to work too, so I don't have that luxury of time to train for competition, although I would very much like to try it even for once.

I also have the nerves, imagining things even before they happen because the competition requires bare knuckles and no shin pad support, it's full contact and full force. I've never been to a street fight before, so I wouldn't know how full impact bare knuckles would feel in my body. Any ideas?

Should I look forward to competing? I'm 48 years old, btw.

You should probably fix your insomnia then try kumite. If Western medicine isn't working or available, look up Chinese or Asian acupuncture clinics and what not, ask around there for solutions.

Back