Cooking a German recipe...but lost in translation, please help.?

cah77388

Oct 17, 2011
I found a recipe, and I've deciphered most, mainly through google translate, or an iPhone app, however, there are a few things that I'm still confused about, maybe someone out there can help.

The recipe calls for 100 grams of Speisestaerk, which from my understanding translates to starch? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if its right, what kind of starch are we talking about? Is starch another term for shortening?

Thanks in Advance.
Thanks, I found the corn starch part. The abbreviations also are written in (gr.). I assumed this to be grams, but, I've known it to be the abbreviation for grains, however, when looking at the total recipe (its for a cake) 400 grains of flour with 4 eggs doesn't make sense...so I'm assuming that (gr.) is grams. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that too.

Yeah, iti s corn flour, there are two types, cornflour and "wheaten corn flour" generally the wheaten cornflour is easier to use but the corn corn flour is a better emulsifier.

Metric grams is usually abbreviated as gr. or g I have never had a recipe call for grains of something...

It is, in fact, cornstarch, though many Europeans call "cornstarch" "corn flour"....not to be confused with "cornmeal".

Good luck with your recipe!

Edit: Just read your additional details, and the gr *IS* for grams.

Back