'71 volkswagen beetle engine coolant issue?

Sarah

May 11, 2008
i've been looking for my first car; have found an old automatic beetle- hope to use it for several road trips. had an inspection yesterday, all was well except for: cv boot split & engine coolant tube flattened/mangled. tube has since been fixed/replaced, though i hear that 'as the system was exposed, it may have already caused engine problems which will only show after a long trip' (since has only been used as occasional daily run-around). how do i get around this? also, is the cv boot split of concern?
yes yes, cooling.

I'm sure you mean engine cooling tube, not coolant tube. You do not want the automatic beetle, it's going to be extremely slow accelerating. I do like the old beetles, just not the automatics. There isn't any real way to determine if the engine has been damaged unless you do a tear down. If it isn't burning oil, has good compression, and runs good, then I doubt it overheated.
You need to replace the boot as soon as possible before the CV joint dries out, if it hasn't already.

I don't think a CV Joint can dry out because of a coolant,, check all your hoses, press down on them and if they feel spongy then replace it. But in your case a 71 VW, to my recollection, it has an air vent. Just take it in to the shop to diagnosed just the coolant system only

Back