Why does the Homo community feel offended with a comment "that's gay?"?

Alan

May 15, 2008
I do it all the time, it's my way of expression. I feel no offense when hearing it either.To me this phrase is a phrase. I dunno, i'd like some opinions not attacks.
thanks for the answers. I see it now. But i dunno, it'll take me a while take it out of my vocab... haha
I'm sorry to have insulted. I too am gay, i was asking it as a curious question. I had no intentions.

Think about it. You are at a store and they are out of the product you want. You say, "That's so gay!" You are really thinking, "That's so stupid!" People use "gay" as a synonym for "dumb" or "stupid." Sometimes it slips out, cause we hear it all the time, and sometimes say it. But it can be extremely offensive. Or as another example it would be like saying, "That's so (insert your name here)"

I just dont like it because subconciously or conciously it associates being gay with bad things... also the fact that so little is done about it annoys me... Kids at school say "Thats so Gay" all the time, teachers say nothing, if they said "Thats so black!" or "Thats so muslim" how much trouble would they get in???

"Gay" has a negative connotation when used in that context. Essentially you are insulting someone or something when you say it's gay, which in turn offends homosexuals.

it's only temporary. it's a cultural change. the word has been defined to mean something other than homosexual.

i say 5 -10 yrs, gay meaning lame or stupid will be completely common place. we just have to get the bigots to die off or evolve.

just as the word "f@g" was derogatory. people are using it now to describe things other than homosexual with no offense meant to the LGBT community. In reality, it is the younger generations using their power of vocabulary to break down the walls of prejudice.

I will admit, it took me a while to figure that out.

Because you're using it as synonymous with stupid.

And because despite 1400 years with the English language, that's the best insult 90% of the population can think of.

"I'd like opinions, not attacks" says the guy addressing the "homo community".

Does someone at your low IQ level actually understand every word that's spoken to them, or does it all come through as static unless the word has one syllable or less?

I enjoy a good joke of this type too. But I do not get this phrase.

Can these users give a literal definition? If not, I think they should stop using it.

Picture yourself standing in a group with myself and a couple of friends. A guy passes nearby wearing ratty-looking clothes, hair matted and feet coming out of torn shoes and I say, "Oh, that's so Alan."

Now how do you feel? Would you like for it to catch on and hear everyone saying it, using it to describe anything that is odd, ugly or out-of-style?

Exactly how do you *expect* us to feel?

When a stereotype is used in a demeaning manner for anything, it is offensive. Using the term "gay" to refer to something that looks stupid or silly, it is akin to using the "N" word to describe something related to black people. It is ugly and very offensive. That is why there are public service announcements that say "knock it off". Once you realize it offends someone, it should no longer be something you want to do. Sure, it is just a phrase, but it is a demeaning phrase. If you use a racial slur or religious slur or a sexually harassing term in a phrase, while it is in fact just a phrase, it is still offensive and should be recognized as such.

Because most people use it to mean something is stupid, wrong, annoying. Would YOU like to be called that?

Idk, all the people I know who use that term, accept gays, and don't use it in a negative connotation.

I use it, and I'm gay.

I coudn't imagine an actual gay-hater saying "that's gay" haha.

I think its fine. It doesn't offend me.

Its just a phrase, im gay and proud, and i dont get offended its a little dumb. Maybe there is just different meanings of gay. Gay is being happy, homosexuality, or stupid. That doesnt mean they are calling people stupid.

They get offended because when people say "that's gay", they're replacing "gay" with lame, or stupid, or wrong. Therefore, anyone who is gay would take a lot of offense, knowing that someone is pretty much calling them lame, stupid, or wrong.

the "homo" community meets at your house the second tuesday of the month,,, and it's not a "gay" event... in fact i've heard it to be far from it...

Back