Rogers (internet service provider) left a recorded phone message saying that

Sep 9, 2009
my computer had a virius...? ..do you think this is legitimate?

My computer is not acting unusually and I am sort of suspicious since the recording said that they will disconnect my internet in 24 hours if the problem isn't fixed. Has this ever happened to anyone before? The voice recording itself didn't seem too suspicious because it asked to press #1 to get customer support to fix the problem (which I obviously didn't do).

I'm going to get my brother to call Rogers and ask them about it, but for the mean time, I'm asking you guys.
hmm, the recording DID say that the virius poses a threat to other users of the ISP...

Uh, think about this: if an Internet provider called any customer that had a virus on their computer, we wouldn't have an unemployment problem...they'd have to hire people to call folks 24/7.

It's a scam. When they get you on the phone, they'll start asking all kinds of personal questions, and you'll answer because you believe it's really them.

They're phishing you. Just ignore it.

This has to be the most elaborate malware yet, as the only conceivable reason that they should disconnect you is if the present malware poses a security hazard to other users of the ISP.

Yet I HIGHLY doubt that. Never have I been notified of viruses on my computer from my ISP. This is indeed very strange.

Probably a scam. If they do disconnect you, just get a new ISP. As someone earlier has said, they're probably goading you into answering a bunch of personal questions out of this.

It's Not Real.No Anti-Virus Company Would Call Someone's House Informing Them They Have A Virus.Only Your Anti-Virus Software Can Inform You That You Have A Virus On Your Computer.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
get free, update and run full scan in meantime , just to be sure.

edit : I just called them, and they in fact do call, you need to fix this or you will be disconnected. And to who td ' d my answer, do some research first.

Back