Atheists: What do you think about fulfilled Bible prophecy. How is that done

ITGUY

Mar 18, 2008
without a God? Can humans predict the future accurately like the Bible does?
For example, The Bible predicted the rise and fall of Alexander the Great and that his Kingdom would be divided up among his four generals.
Daniel 8:
...20 “The ram that you saw possessing the two horns [stands for] the kings of Me´di·a and Persia. 21 And the hairy he-goat [stands for] the king of Greece; and as for the great horn that was between its eyes, it [stands for] the first king. 22 And that one having been broken, so that there were four that finally stood up instead of it, there are four kingdoms from [his] nation that will stand up, but not with his power.
Daniel 8:
5 And I, for my part, kept on considering, and, look! there was a male of the goats coming from the sunset upon the surface of the whole earth, and it was not touching the earth. And as regards the he-goat, there was a conspicuous horn between its eyes. 6 And it kept coming all the way to the ram possessing the two horns, which I had seen standing before the watercourse; and it came running toward it in its powerful rage.

7 And I saw it coming into close touch with the ram, and it began showing bitterness toward it, and it proceeded to strike down the ram and to break its two horns, and there proved to be no power in the ram to stand before it. So it threw it to the earth and trampled it down, and the ram proved to have no deliverer out of its hand.

8 And the male of the goats, for its part, put on great airs to an extreme; but as soon as it became mighty, the great horn was broken, and there proceeded to come up conspicuously four instead of it,...
Also, prophecies about Edom and Babylon being effaced from existence came through.
Dreamstuff...: what evidence do you have that Ezekiel 29:10-14 wasn't fulfilled?
Isaiah foretold that a conqueror named Cyrus would destroy seemingly impregnable Babylon. He also said that Cyrus, would decide to let the Jewish exiles in his territory go free without any payment of ransom (Isaiah 44:28; 45:1; and 45:13). This prophecy was made more than 100 years before Cyrus was born, but it all came true.

Well, when most of the stories were written after the fact, and the "prophecies" are incredibly vague coincidences, there are lots of ways to do that without god.

Are there really any fulfilled biblical prophesies?

Did the bible really predict Alexander the Great? Please cite chapter & verse. I'm really curious.

When I was in college in the seventies the big thing for the end-times crowd was that the world would end one or two generations after Israel became a nation. They were foaming at the mouth expecting the apocalypse any day. If a generation is 20 years or so the prophesy was wrong.

I'd like to see a real, non-ambiguous biblical prophesy which came true. Something specific enough to be verified. Sorry, but I'm not impressed with so-called prophesies like "wars and famine" or "seven horned monsters" or "he rode into town on a donkey". There's never been a time without wars and famine and lots of people have rode donkeys.

If you think there are fulfilled prophesies please give me an example or two.

What makes you think that stuff from Daniel about goats is talking about Alexander? Alexander was not a goat and I'm pretty sure he touched the ground.

Give 1 example*, please. Until you provide any compelling evidence, we are forced to reject that claim out-of-hand.

* A valid example is one which could not also be described by a mundane, natural explanation.

Just as the unbelievers in Jesus day even though He walked among them they still would not believe ..
Your answers are tragic
Jesus said that when Israel became a nation that , that generation of people would not pass away before His return , indeed that happened in 1947 and the youngest of those witnesses are now 62 years old !!

Wake up people before it is to late :(

Ever hear of self-fulfilling prophecies? If enough people believe in the prophecy they will look for every opportunity to rationalize its occurrence.

The prophecies are so vague they can mean anything. Most of the Quaran has also been fulfilled with it's vague prophecies, why do you ignore it?

1. There are several mundane ways in which a prediction of the future can be fulfilled:
1. Retrodiction. The "prophecy" can be written or modified after the events fulfilling it have already occurred.
2. Vagueness. The prophecy can be worded in such a way that people can interpret any outcome as a fulfillment. Nostradomus's prophecies are all of this type. Vagueness works particularly well when people are religiously motivated to believe the prophecies.
3. Inevitability. The prophecy can predict something that is almost sure to happen, such as the collapse of a city. Since nothing lasts forever, the city is sure to fall someday. If it has not, it can be said that according to prophecy, it will.
4. Denial. One can claim that the fulfilling events occurred even if they have not. Or, more commonly, one can forget that the prophecy was ever made.
5. Self-fulfillment. A person can act deliberately to satisfy a known prophecy.

There are no prophecies in the Bible that cannot easily fit into one or more of those categories.

2. In biblical times, prophecies were not simply predictions. They were warnings of what could or would happen if things did not change. They were meant to influence people's behavior. If the people heeded the prophecy, the events would not come to pass; Jonah 3 gives an example. A fulfilled prophecy was a failed prophecy, because it meant people did not heed the warning.

3. The Bible also contains failed prophecies, in the sense that things God said would happen did not (Skeptic's Annotated Bible n.d.). For example:
* Joshua said that God would, without fail, drive out the Jebusites and Canaanites, among others (Josh. 3:9-10). But those tribes were not driven out (Josh. 15:63, 17:12-13).
* Ezekiel said Egypt would be made an uninhabited wasteland for forty years (29:10-14), and Nebuchadrezzar would plunder it (29:19-20). Neither happened.

4. Other religions claim many fulfilled prophecies, too (Prophecy Fulfilled n.d.).

It's the same thing as Nostradamus. He wrote a bunch of random quatrains, then after the fact people went and matched them up with events that matched the description.

If I were God and I wanted to make an amazing prophecy that was going to become fulfilled, I would choose something more relevant to all mankind than Alexander the Great, considering many people don't even know or care about Ol' Alex.

No, the Bible predicted no such thing.

The Bible is full of vague, general prophecies which are retroactively interpreted to fit current events. Then there are the stories written in such a way as to make it appear that prophecy has been fulfilled. The gospels are full of those. For example, the fact that Matthew and Luke get Jesus born in Bethlehem but raised in Nazareth by two different and contradictory stories proves that the stories were written to make it appear that prophecy had been fulfilled. The way the details of the crucifixion story were written to echo a psalm is another example. The silliness which has Jesus riding into Jerusalem on both a donkey and a colt is another.

A bit earlier this evening a Muslim pointed out all the prophecies of the Quran that were being fulfilled now. His case was every bit as strong as yours.

Xian: ever hear about the 100th Monkey theory in 4th grade (or whatever class you're in?). Or the "shotgun approach?" Or self-delusion or self-fulfilling prophecies? That's how the bible "fulfills" its own prophecies.

Actually, most of the prophesies haven't come true at all. Many are about as vague as Nostradamus. Strangely enough though, humans are rather accurate at predicting the future if they are using Scientific Theories. That's one of the things the theories are supposed to do, be able to make accurate predictions.

If I can name a dozen other religions that also have had prophesies come true, will you convert? If not, why not? If accurate predications are all that is needed you should consider those other faiths. Many are older than your Christianity.

I abhor your gullibility but admire your tenacity. Bible prophesy is about as difficult as choosing what to have for breakfast.

Back