How do I get rid of the excess white stringy mucus my mouth is making?

Stargazer1

Jun 29, 2008
For the past few weeks my mouth seems to be making an excess mucus. It is stringy and white. I have no idea what is causing it or how to get rid of it. Nothing has changed to indicate a cause. I have been rinsing my mouth with mouth wash and although this cleans my mouth out, it doesn't stop my mouth from producing it.

Have the same thing--do you use Crest Pro Health toothpaste? joekraynak.com/blog
Lots have that from the toothpaste.

Yeah I have that too, I think it might be the crest pro health toothpaste I use but it works well so I just put up with it

Hi Everyone,
I just had a mini panic attack when I once AGAIN noticed this white stringy mucus in my mouth. It's disgusting. I just finished my nightly regimen of brushing my teeth (with Crest Pro Health), flossing and using Listerine. Within minutes the stringy white stuff appeared. It really liked like a white worm or something and I eat a lot of sushi so that was the first thing I thought of. But now it really does seem like it's the toothpaste.
CRAZY! Thanks so much for the reassurance :)

Have the same thing--do you use Crest Pro Health toothpaste? joekraynak.com/blog
Lots have that from the toothpaste.

you are so right. I just started to use Crest Pro Health toothpaste a couple of days ago and have cause my mouth to have white stringy mucus which is very annoying.

Definately the Crest Pro Health tooth paste. Same thing happened to me. It freaked me out when I felt it in my mouth. Disgusting. I wonder what is in the tooth paste that make it do that?

This has been happening with me too after I have been using the Crest Pro Health tooth paste. It is kind of disgusting.

I have the same thing, but after using Sensodine Whitening toothpaste and rinsing with Listerine Total Care. I wonder if we can isolate the culprit ingredient

I get this too after using crest pro health toothpaste! I often wondered if I was the only one...thank goodness i'm not.

I think it's the stuff used in the toothpaste to help make your teeth white. Because I use colgate whitening and the samething happen to me, a long white mucus string came out of my mouth on both the top and bottom. WEIRD and GROSS!!!!

culated canet

Whew, glad i'm not the only one either! I mean, i was really freaking out over this. I use the crest pro health clinical gum protection and listerine zero. Well, like you all, i guess it's just something we have to put up with, because i love the products i use and other than this annoying white stringy build-up issue, i won't stop using them :)

thank goodness it's not stinky, ya know? Now that would make me stop!! Lol

Me too

I have the same issue with slim and mucus in my mouth. I end up sucking through my teeth to try to get rid of it. Very annoying and I think it is causing a bad habit of me making sucking noise.

white stringy mucus can also be an indication of a minor gum infection; if you cut your gum and it got infected, or possibly gingivitis (not all toothpastes protect against it). so before you start boycotting Crest, talk to your dentist.
Hope this helped (and I am not an employee of Crest, I promise!) ;)

it's not the toothpaste. i use a different brand. i have had this same thing on-and-off last year. stringy (long strings) of what looks like cells (?) in the area along my gum and cheek area. i pull them out (they are not attached i dont think) and look at them. they look like cells (white) and mucus (white). i have been researching what this could be. but, i think it is tied to the saliva glands (which are located along the gum and cheek area). i have not asked my dentist or doctor yet.

it's not the toothpaste. i use a different brand. i have had this same thing on-and-off last year. stringy (long strings) of what looks like cells (?) in the area along my gum and cheek area. i pull them out (they are not attached i dont think) and look at them. they look like cells (white) and mucus (white). i have been researching what this could be. but, i think it is tied to the saliva glands (which are located along the gum and cheek area). i have not asked my dentist or doctor yet.
Ok.. This is me adding a comment to my own previous post...
It appears that the toothpaste brand I was using is Crest Pro Health (same family, same formulation, different "type"). There is daytime, nighttime, cinnamon, etc.
So I stopped using it for two months and switched to Tom's All Natural to see what would happen -- The stringy cells went AWAY. So I switched back to the Crest Pro Health two days ago -- The stringy cells are BACK.

<script type="text/javascript"<!--
google_ad_client = "ca-pub-5450039909527073";
/* Top */
google_ad_slot = "9502039347";
google_ad_width = 300;
google_ad_height = 250;
//-->
</script>
<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script>

Completely agree with you all. I use the Crest Pro Health Gum Protection toothpaste and it happens almost every night within a few hours after brushing my teeth! Anyone able to stop it but still continue using the product?

I have been using Crest Pro Health for a while and did not have the problem until I switched from ACT! to Listerine. And not even at first with the Listerine it seemed but after a few days, I get that stuff pretty much every time I brush and rinse with Listerine Total Care. And it is gross.

Back