How do I get rid of the excess white stringy mucus my mouth is making?

I've developed the same problem when using a combination of Crest Pro-Health and Listerine Zero. It's gross. Glad I'm not the only one.

It's not a problem specific to Crest Pro Health. It's the whitening agent found in all toothpastes and mouthwashes marketed as "whitening". I think it's an allergy or sensitivity to whatever that ingredient is because obviously it doesn't happen to everyone. It does happen to me and it's disgusting. Switch to regular toothpaste and it will go away regardless of the brand you use.

Same thing here! Used Crest Pro Health and now have gross mucus. Guess I will have to switch :(

Thank the gods for the interwebs.

Self-loathing/blaming person that I am, I had assumed for two months that it was a fault in my salivary glands or somesuch. I'm very glad to know I'm not alone, and that a PRODUCT is the culprit. It wasn't until recently that I connected the timing of the issues with my teethbrushing. Before, I probably thought it was just a 'morning thing.'

[For me, it's the Crest Pro Health Whitening product]

Oddly, I also recently found issues with another oral care product, but this one had more 'far reaching' side effects.... I used Rembrandt's Peroxide whitening mouthwash, and developed an itchy rash... uh, down south. Like with the Crest, it took me some time to figure out it wasn't just my body chemistry doing wonky things. I finally isolated the problem, stopped using the Rembrandt, and the problem went away in a day. After a week, I tried the Rembrandt again, and it resurfaced within a day.

I'm going back to the old standards from now on. All the hi-tech dental care stuff seems to disagree with me.

Me Too - but with using Sensodyne

This has been happening to me too, except it is most prevalent in the AM. So the white mucus when combined with the morning coffee makes it extra lovely. This evening I brushed hours ago with Sensodyne extra whitening and used Listerine.... and you know the rest of the story. I'll do the low cost experiment of switching back to Tom's of Main and see if it stops.

Thx all for writing and sharing.

LOL, I'm laughing as I'm reading these posts because I'm dealing with the same issue and I JUST bought my Crest Pro Health toothpaste today.

I have been experiencing the same white stringy stuff in my mouth it is just disgusting however i was not using the Crest Pro health i have always been using Colgate total(whitening) and scope Mouth wash now been using Sensodine toothpaste now and its still there...I have no idea what else to do...any suggestions what might be the cause of this stringy stuff?

interesting. i just noticed it myself recently and thought that it was something wrong with what i was eating, until i realized that i had switched toothpastes. i'm currently using sensodyne whitening as well. i used to use their baking soda one and never noticed this, so i didn't even think to suspect the toothpaste. i prefer the taste (i know...weird) of the whitening toothpaste, so it's something i can live with (i'll just rinse with water when i get to work) but good to know.

I've read an answer to this somewhere and it is the peroxide that does it. It necronize or burn tissues in the oral cavity and collects to a goo. Yes, Crest Pro does it.

Hi Everyone,
I just had a mini panic attack when I once AGAIN noticed this white stringy mucus in my mouth. It's disgusting. I just finished my nightly regimen of brushing my teeth (with Crest Pro Health), flossing and using Listerine. Within minutes the stringy white stuff appeared. It really liked like a white worm or something and I eat a lot of sushi so that was the first thing I thought of. But now it really does seem like it's the toothpaste.
CRAZY! Thanks so much for the reassurance :)
Its the tooth paste Credt Pro Health will cause that, i have the same problem with that toothpaste, switch to something different. Maybe your scrubbing too hard.

same problem ...after i started using this toothpaste ...wonder if producer is aware

It can't just be the crest pro health. The same thing happens to me almost every time I brush my teeth and I use sensodyne!

This issue has been giving me problems for a few weeks now, using Crest Pro Health.

It's getting so bad that the mucous is beginning to sit in my throat and build up so thick that I get a bubble of slime when I'm sleeping and sleep with my mouth wide open so I can breath. x.x;

Is that from any kind of crest tooth paste? I have been starting to do the same and have been using crest 3D whitening it works but overall not a great feeling with the string type mucus

Response to Crest Pro Health

Hi Everyone,
I just had a mini panic attack when I once AGAIN noticed this white stringy mucus in my mouth. It's disgusting. I just finished my nightly regimen of brushing my teeth (with Crest Pro Health), flossing and using Listerine. Within minutes the stringy white stuff appeared. It really liked like a white worm or something and I eat a lot of sushi so that was the first thing I thought of. But now it really does seem like it's the toothpaste.
CRAZY! Thanks so much for the reassurance :)

I have been using Crest Pro Health along with Pro Health mouthwash for years and have never experienced this white, mucous-like film until just recently within the last week. Though, until recently (roughly within the same time frame) I was using ACT mouth wash with Crest Pro Health toothpaste and never experienced this problem but switched back to Crest Pro Health mouthwash. Could it be a change of ingredients in the product, switching from ACT to Crest, or something more? I'm thinking I should make an appointment with my Doctor to see what he thinks it is...

I have the same thing, but after using Sensodine Whitening toothpaste and rinsing with Listerine Total Care. I wonder if we can isolate the culprit ingredient
Oh interesting! I have been using Sensodine Whitening toothpaste and also have just started noticing a little bit of this stringy mucous in my mouth afterwards. Really grossed me out! Very interesting to hear that other people are experiencing the same thing. Has anyone contacted the companies that make this stuff to tell them and ask what it might be?

I have used Crest (just regular, not even the whitening type) and it did that. I used Colgate and never had the problem. My dentist recommended sensodyne and it does the same thing....I was using colgate before and never had that issue although my husband uses crest with no issues so there is something that interacts between my saliva (mouth) and the ingredients in crest. I should compare the ingredients to see what is in sensodyne and crest that's not in colgate.....

Sensodyne with extra whitening did the same to me. I'm glad to know the cause of these strands of mucus, as I was concerned before I read this thread.

Back