Youngsters had a fight club in my yard

I'll have you know that my bathroom brawls were in a time where the highest tech a kid had on him were Digimon! Which came before Pokemon! ::shakes fist::

(I caught your sarcastic tone, I'm just adding to it)

There was never a quicker way to get kids to gather than to see a fight at school. Everyone would start yelling fight and the whole school would appear. And there was plenty of talking about having a fight at lunch or after school etc. If people had phones with cameras back then, everyone would have had them out. I don't see this being anything strange.

Yep. Definitely not a new thing. In a culture where violence is a glorified but rarely experienced or even forbidden, teens will always want to see what it's like. Some will find they enjoy it. I think many of the posters here may come from that second group.

Wouldn't be surprised and I'd hazard a guess there's a fair few who never tried it but would of enjoyed it. When you're older the potential consequences are high enough for a lotof people to want to avoid it, but kids and teenagers don't seem to escalate it to those levels. Would imagine they get to have a rush close to an offtopic or vale tudo type scrap and find its fun.

Does anyone agree that organized fighting between children has become even more popular with the emergence (and ease) of social media? I've found that many teens, heck even adults, are using the Internet as a means of boosting their ego/popularity due to its ease.

I dunno. Not gonna lie if they were using facebook to set those things up when I was younger I probably would have at least gone to watch so there could be a raise in exposure to real life fighting but actually engaging in it? I'm sure there were a few people who wanted to be the next Kimbo Slice but I don't think its that big a deal that it increased the number of people actually backyard brawling by a significant amount.

I mean if you're talking about popularity then I'd be looking at things like Felony Fights and of the few I've seen none of those seemed like guys who wouldn't of ended up fighting if the cameras weren't there.

Is it that it became more popular or just more publicized? Because I remember people rucking practically every week at every step of my education right up until the uni. Then again I might be going senile...

When I was growing up virtually nobody carried cell phones, people had no recording equipment with them, social media existed only in the most primitive and limited form on the Internet (think 14-28K modem days), and video games were a far less immersive artificial reality. Kids organized fights all the time after school. Hell, when I was fourteen I had this group of four Latino boys who would only attempt to bully me when all four were present, and wouldn't even make eye contact when they saw me solo. I made it clear I wasn't afraid of them and I figured they were going to eventually jump me 4-1 after school. I told all my friends there would be a fight after school and to show up to back me up in case they brought several additional people. When I went to confront one of them in a class we shared and suggest they choose their toughest friend for me to fight to settle things between us formally, he ended up apologizing before I could offer the challenge and we became friendly because of our shared art interest. He told them all to leave me alone. Then, like the knob I was, I had to tell everyone all day there would be no fight. "Nope, sorry, it's off. Nope, sorry, it's off."

Boys.

Yeah let's not repeat the obvious, lol... we already know that fights still occurred in the Stone Age. My question was if everyone truly believes that they're not occuring any more frequently than they did before social media sites blew up. Sure we will hear about things more due to publicity, but can we safely say that many of these are not influenced by the nature of social media today?

Organized fighting isn't the only case. I just used that as an example because that's the topic of this thread. Just recently, there was a story about two teen boys who went around getting young girls (around 13) drunk and then raping them. They loved the publicity they received online since many people were actually encouraging them, and their fans would call the girls "sluts". That's sick. The article even went on to point out "rape culture". CULTURE. What the heck is "rape culture"? Before I deviate away from the topic of this thread, let me just say that clearly, the boys were encouraged to further continue their disgusting habits because social media allows the trash of society to connect with other trash and boost each other's egos.

So can we confidently say this is not the case?

I feel quite safe saying that people with those tendencies would act on it regardless. Not the rape per se, but they would have done something to gain notoriety. I don't think the ease with which you can get it due to social media has really effected that sort of crime. Social media fame is also notoriously short lived and I have to imagine that factors in.

I won't derail it further but "rape culture" isn't a new idea.

My kids want to train with me (I teach) but we don't have kids classes yet, so they now go to another club. I think this is a good thing, because now I can be the comforting parent while they come to terms with the fact that martial arts training is painful. Had I been their sensei, I would have to be stern to them on the mat, and for little kids it is difficult to grasp the difference between daddy on the mat and daddy at home.

Now I can comfort them. And I can help them with learning to tie their belt and how to roll, while their sensei does the teaching bit. Once they have a decent basis in the arts, and can deal with the pain of being thrown etc, then they can come to me if they want.

It's two special relationships that is difficult to combine and I personally think they shouldn't be combined. A training partner or helper is all you should be even then you have to be careful

The frequency probably fluctuates, the only thing that changes is it is better documented by social media.

In school I knew of most fights that were going to happen by word of mouth.

Back