Would you let you child see their extended family if they were like this?

ErinT

Jun 3, 2008
I adopted a little boy 7 months ago he was 2 1/2. His parents are dead and he was living with his aunt and cousin. He has a half sister who lives 7 hours away. Social services took my son away from his aunt because she was an abusive alcoholic would did not feed the children and drugged them with tylenol. Since moving in with us the doctors have found evidence of sexual abuse that was done to him and social services thinks that one of the party buddies of his aunt did this to him. We wanted him to know his cousin but every time we tried to let them see each other she was begging for money to go out drinking while I watched her son. Because of the psychological trauma my son suffered from seeing her again it was decided through a child psychologist, social services and me that he would not have to see his aunt anymore. Now social services has called and said my sons half sister is in town for a short period and they wanted to set up a visit. Now I have no problem with that but the family the sister lives with drinks and from what I have heard is foster parents for the money. They also live in a community that has high drug use and that sort of lifestyle. From my short conversation on the phone with them they did not sound like people you would want to be around let alone bring a child around.

I have set up the meeting and will see how it goes but I am uneasy. I know he should know his family but the type of family they are is not god and I do not want him exposed to that exspecially after such a hard life so far. The trauma he has had to endure has left huge scars on him physically and mentally and I do not want to cause more.

I am torn between doing what is right for him right now (limiting his exposure even if it means not seeing his extended family) and doing what is socially right. Everyone says but what about when he gets older and finds out you did not let them have contact he could be very mad. Which could be true but on the other hand letting him see his other family could cause more problems than he already has.

And the family he has now (our family) is large and he has grandparents, aunts, uncles, and loads of cousins who are not abusive and living controversial lives.

Back