Work Sucks

Betho

Feb 19, 2008
Just wanted to share these stats with you from www.anxietyculture.com:

Myth: "People enjoy their jobs"

In 2001, the UK government announced plans for a "work first" culture. Ministers spoke of how work "holds communities together" and "gives life meaning". Meanwhile, back in the real world...

• In 2002, the Work Foundation reported that "job satisfaction has plummeted", and that so-called "high performance" management techniques made workers deeply unhappy and failed to raise output.

• In January 2004, a marketing director at Prudential was reported as saying: "Our research shows that an alarming number of people appear to be unhappy in their employment and unfulfilled by their work".

• A British Social Attitudes survey revealed that 6 in 10 British workers are unhappy in their jobs, with a majority reporting feelings of insecurity, stress, pointlessness, exhaustion and inadequate income.

• A Samaritans survey found that jobs are the single biggest cause of stress – and that the link between work and suicide is likely to be underestimated. In Japan, around 5% of all suicides are "company related" and suicide is an official, compensated work-related condition.

• In a pathetic attempt to raise worker morale, employers are giving high-sounding titles to mundane jobs. The recruitment company, Reed, noticed these examples:

Technical Sanitation Assistant (toilet cleaner)
Optical Illuminator Enhancer (window cleaner)
Head of Verbal Communications (receptionist)
Senior Corporate Events Manager (secretary)

Myth: "We have more leisure now"

• Working hours have risen in the last 20 years, on average, for UK full-time workers (as shown by the UK Labour Force Survey). This reverses a 150-year trend of declining working hours.

• UK governments have known for decades that long hours are economically counterproductive. A 1916 Home Office report, Industrial Fatigue, noted that output "is lowered by the working of overtime. The diminution is often so great that the total daily output is less when overtime is worked than when it is suspended. Thus overtime defeats its own object."

• The UK government has admitted a "sharp increase" in excessive working hours. DTI research found that 1 in 6 employees now work more than 60 hours a week.
Full-time employees in the UK work the longest hours in Europe. The average for full-timers in the UK is 43.5 hours per week. In France it's 38.2 and in Germany 39.9, yet both are more productive than the UK.

• According to an ICM poll, 1 in 5 UK workers never take a lunch-break. And 57% of workers take a break of less than 30 minutes (30 minutes is the legal minimum).

• A May 2003 British Medical Association survey found that 77% of consultants work more than 50 hours a week for the NHS, and 46% more than 60 hours.

• Each year employees are giving £23 billion in free labour to their bosses, according to the TUC. The union organisation has designated February 27th as "Work Your Proper Hours Day", after calculating that this is the day when the average worker who does unpaid overtime stops working for free.

Myth: "Hard work never harmed anyone"

• People with stressful jobs are twice as likely to die from heart disease, according to a 2002 study in the British Medical Journal.

• People who work over 48 hours per week have double the risk of heart disease, according to a 1996 UK government report.

• Long-term job strain is worse for your heart than gaining 40lbs in weight or aging 30 years, according to a 2003 US study.

• Work kills more than war. Approximately two million workers die annually due to occupational injuries and illnesses, according to a United Nations report. This is more than double the figure for deaths from warfare (650,000 deaths per year). Work kills more people than alcohol and drugs together.

• 82% of workers at the Department for Work and Pensions have suffered ill health as a result of pressure of work, according to a 2003 survey.

• The Health and Safety Executive reports that the number of people suffering from work-related stress has more than doubled since 1990.

• BBC News quotes the International Stress Management Association as saying: "Each year we conduct research into stress and each year the figure just keeps on getting worse."

• Rising stress at work is causing increasing numbers of young professionals to grind their teeth while they sleep, according to the British Dental Health Foundation.

Myth: "Work cures poverty"

• The number of people in work is at "record levels" according to the UK government. Meanwhile, official UK figures show 22% of people living in poverty, compared to 13% in 1979.

47% of employees have wages that, on their own, are insufficient to avoid poverty.

42% of employees rely on means other than their own wages to avoid poverty.

In the 1970s and 1980s, around 4% of low-paid employees lived in poverty. Currently, 14% of low-paid employees live in poverty. (5% of all employees now live in poverty).

• Since the early 1970s GDP (national income) has doubled, but in real terms (ie allowing for inflation) the bottom 10% of jobs pay less now than in 1970. The minimum wage would have to be around £6.50 per hour to bring low-pay up to the 1970 level.

• Meanwhile, in America, 40% of those served in soup kitchens have jobs. Nearly a fifth of all homeless people in the USA are employed in jobs.

...that was mainly due to the fact that I was working Nights, which I had never done before. If I had done the same job-I was a Production Assistant/Editor for a media monitoring company in London-during the day my mistakes would have been less and my enthusiasm for doing the job would have been higher. I did try applying for the same job during the day but sadly I got fired from my temp job instead. After three months !

==• According to an ICM poll, 1 in 5 UK workers never take a lunch-break. And 57% of workers take a break of less than 30 minutes (30 minutes is the legal minimum)."

Actually our job hours were 23:00 pm to 7am in the morning, seven days work, seven days off with exactly that, a 1/2 hr break. We even got watched over and screamed at if we took to many breaks- because some took smoking breaks every hour or 2 hrs.

work is ok, i just got a job as a cook this week, i dont think that will last long, im not that good and dont really handle it well. ill prob get put on dishes if i dont quit or get fired. i have two other jobs though, one in radio and one at a law firm, and those are good for the most part. so it could be a lot worse

My job would be ok if the money was better. Strange how they expect more commitment than the wage reflects!

More work more pay! No way will I work past 5 or weekends for what I get. Which is what they hint for!

Damn right - the TUC (Trades Union Congress) have calculated that UK workers give their companies £23billion in free time by doing a bit extra here, and a little bit there with no extra paid over time. They've got a campaign going to get people to work their hours and no more.

Our economy is dependant on people being made to feel guilty for not staying on after 5 - a horrible phenomenon called "presenteeism". I say stop - it's about time we all stuck to what our contracts say, stop being so charitable to people who really don't give a damn that you put in the extra hours (but look at you funny if you don't) and watch the pressure rise, when companies realise that they can't operate without the good will of their paid slaves.

Work sucks.. where I work the directors get paid ridiculous amount of money, get more holiday, and do a lot less work. I think i should be a director, I wish I could fight them for their jobs, that would be wicket.

But seriously, in the private sector middle management and bellow are seriously getting mashed by greedy senior management, I think we need some sort of unions or something. I have a friend who works for London Underground, he gets paid quite well, ridiculous amounts of holiday, almost two months, and they are protected from being scammed by their unions, as a result their the ones doing the scamming, I guess.

Let me give you an example of how ridiculous the situation is here. I currently live in London, as some may know house prices in this city are ridiculously high, you will not get a half decent place for less than £150,000. A mortgage lender will normally only give you 4X your salary, so you have to be earning at least £37,500, which is usually a salary attainable only if your in the upper reaches of middle to upper management. So the rest of us mere mortals, must slave away and spend ridiculous amounts on rent, without saving much if anything for a potentially pleasant future, and any £££ that we do have left over at the end of the week we must spend on getting hammered. On top of all this, my boss has a wig or something of that sort stuck to his head, I recently came across a bill on his desk from the London Centre of Tricology, the bill was for, I kid you not: 2003 - £48,000, 2004 – £27,000, now that really pisses me off.. he spends more money on his fake hair than he pays me wages… Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

If I did not do any MA and/or sport when I get home at the end of the day, I think I would go mad..

And as soon as you work the extra hours they don't value you. Why would they if you work for free!?

I'm convinved that the less you earn the worse you're treated, makes sense, what costs less obviously isn't as valuable

We should lead a worker revolt, work to rule!

Only to go is to work for yourself!

I'm in the same situation, boss here got plenty of holidays, and are at work maybe....hmmmmm for some i would say 10 hours a weel and i'm not joking. My salary is a joke=. Anyway, i don't complain too much because it a summer job, so i just find way to don't work and do other thing much more interesting ( like going on Map). I just learn one thing on summer job, no matter how hard and boring the job is, only the salary matter, because it not you're entire life job, so catch the job with the higher salary, and have fun the other 9 month you don't work and are in school.

Anyway, hope that my final job won't be boring

Come on everyone! Let's Go!

*Looks around to see he's on his own, except for a stray dog peeing up his leg*

My job would be fine if I could find a loophole in the law that says "It's OK test the samples on your irritating co-workers rather than a petridish." That and if it paid more money, let me get out on time so I wouldn't have to run for the train every day and wasn't so bloody boring... OK, I hate my job too, hence why I've been doing it two months and am looking for a new job already

Back