why not just buy american cars?

crisis

May 5, 2008
at least for the next yr. or 2 rather than give big business more gov bailouts or lose enough jobs to spiral us into depression 4 the next decade. or gov could give us a tax incentive if we bought american vehicles for the next couple of yrs. American cars are really not that bad, yeh they used to have a really bad rep like 10 years ago but ford and chevy have both improved in over all quality by quite a bit. Besides, most people don't keep their cars anyway they always trade them in so really now, what the hell does it matter about reliability?

I just think it would help solve this mess more effiecently and fairly rather than big auto just getting free money from the gov. that will ultimately come from our pockets anyway.
the least any american can do is purchase american...we're really shooting our own foots here.
u know what i mean, one of the big 3 that if goes out will put our country (which is heavily reliant upon the auto industry) out of BUSINESS. And to the first answer...yes and no..for instance, you are 100% correct about tranny problems but what ppl don't see is that cars like toyota and honda (both good cars in their own right) wind up nickel and diming customers with bad suspension repairs, frequent brake jobs and random electrical problems (VW is notorious for this crap)...and look at it this way the average jap car comparison to american car comparison..say chevy malibu to honda accord...you can easily get a malibu about 5 to 6 thousand cheaper than an accord. If your tranny goes premature...you still saved 4000 bucks...and that's just one comparison..
chevy aveo - yaris or fit
i had an aveo, best car of my LIFE...cost me 8700 brand new (on red tag sale) put 100 thou miles on it with it needing nothing other than regular maintenance and i was getting 38 miles a gal.
in the first 50..??? really
because I along with the rest of my family have owned chevy's, buicks and fords our whole life..and honestly the only vehicles we've owned that have ever disappointed us were the buicks. Maybe, it's because I always drive stick shift though that I never have a problem as far as reliability and maintenance. I guess tho that the big 3 going out all at once won't be a bad thing right? I guess maybe ppl will change their attitudes when our new depression hits and they can't afford their smug prius' anymore.
You can tell me all day about how great a jap car is but i've owned a mitsu, a honda, a nissan, a toyota and a hyundai...my moms had hondas and hyundais too...
yeh we've had a lot of cars..we've also had bad luck with them...until i bought my aveo and my chevy truck..o and come to think of it, my uncles with the f150 and mustang, buick..oh and my grandma with the cavalier..they've all had those cars since i was a teenager..hmmmm..
and cornering capabilities...really??? At least my chevy is literally like a rock...i'd rather have a smaller turning radius than have to replace a cv joint every time i hit a manhole. Maybe you like the foreign cars because they make you a lot of money with stupid little fixes..being that you're a mechanic. I bet you're also one of those mechanics that try and force synthetic oil on a customer with a car that has less than 75,000 miles.
And consumer reports is the crappiest bs mag ever. I'm a musician and that'd be like me saying rolling stone is my bible or guitar worlds consumer guide on guitars is absolute. When everybody knows that certain companies get more nods because of advertising dollars..print media and journalism isn't any different from your boob tube, it's all politics.
and no matter how many times somebody tells me to buy a jap guitar (like a 4000 dollar jackson) i'll tell them that any american made fender is better any day..get the picture?

Back