Why doesn't my Xvid codec work with my Xvid AVI file?

Benjamin

May 20, 2008
I just made an Xvid video file with Total Video Converter. I converted an MKV video file to Xvid AVI file. It plays FINE in VLC player. It plays FINE on Windows Media Player on another computer that has K-Pack codec pack installed. But on this computer which has the Xvid coded itself installed (but no codec pack) it doesn't work by playing in Windows Media Player. By the way, it is the LATEST version of Xvid codec I'm using, so it SHOULD work. But all it does is play the sound in the file, but no video plays. And that is with the EXACT codec that the AVI file needs (Xvid codec). How could K-Pack codec pack, which has TONS of codecs including Xvid work BETTER than the standalone Xvid codec, when it's an Xvid AVI file that I'm playing?

Please help. Is there any special setting I have to change in Windows Media Player to get it to recognize addon codecs (that is, codecs that don't come with Windows by default)?

By the way I'm using Windows Vista, Home Premium for my OS.
By the way, Total Video Converter is NOT a free program, it cost 50 US$. So it SHOULD use the correct conversion algorithms. I trust it, because for the common AVI codecs (MJPEG, MSMPEG4v2, Lossless HUFFYUV, etc) it worked well, and the correct corresponding codecs WERE able to play them, so Xvid SHOULD also be done correctly. I assume that maybe regular Xvid codec isn't compatible with Windows Vista. Is that maybe the problem?

If you can install K-Pack codec on that computer then install it.
Save you time from wondering why the XVid codec wont work

Good luck

Yeah. Video Converter Programs do that a lot if your computer doesn't have the *exact* requirements it wants you to have in order to display everything. And a lot of times they don't tell you what requirements you need to have. Especially if they are free. Try downloading the DivX codec too. But if you said it works on a computer with the K-Pack codec on it, then you should probably try installing that codec on your computer. That will probably work if I understood you correctly. An XviD codec itself probably isn't enough. Just install the K-Pack codec. Or, if all else fails, you could try a different program to convert your video.
Good luck!

I suggest that you install K-lite Codec Pack. The K-Lite codec Pack is not simply a bundled package of tons of Codecs, The codecs in this pack are simplified and enhanced to avoid any errors i.e, The errors you may find in the standalone codec will not be seen in the K-lite Codec Pack.

Download The Latest Version (4.8.5) :

http://tinyurl.com/qrcwup

-

Kool Karthik

Back