why do some people travel so far to buy a dog?

NachoCheeset

Mar 6, 2013
when its a rare breed its KIND OF understandable, but why travel for hours for common breeds like beagles and golden retrievers?
I'm sure you can adopt LOTS of good dogs that live close to you
it seems kind of ridiculous to me, sorry but i am a dog lover btw

Because they don't want to purchase there dog from a irresponsible breeder(or BYB). They want sound, stable,soild nerved, free of tested genetic problems(if one where to arise,there's an agreement),perform the task they where orginally bred to,etc.

I don't get it either. Or those people that get caught in the "Cameroon" scams. They just have to save those Cameroon puppies...but there are dogs just down the street for cheaper.

Weird.

You just can't argue or reason with stupid, I guess.

To buy a dog I'm not sure but I convinced someone to travel 100+ miles to adopt his beagle that was taken from a laboratory lol.

I'm not sure why. I think people think that shelter dogs are sick and messed up? I dunno...the last time I visited the shelter to get a dog, ALL looked good except this lonely little chihuahua mix in a run by himself recovering from an infection (a previous adopter failed to keep his neuter site clean) and with a messed up eye. Yeah husband and I ended up adopting this messed up little dog.

A couple of months ago I dragged my mom out to the shelter where we saw purebred maltese dogs, shih tzus, vizulas and so on. A couple of friends intern at another shelter and have seen salukis and other crazy breeds. They usually get sent to rescues to make room for other animals not as likely to be adopted.

Because some people have money to burn and want a specific dog.Because they don't believe in taking someone else's leftovers (adopting)

I do know some people that traveled 12 hours to get a Livestock Guardian Dog, but he was one of only 12 in the US (I believe) Worth his weight in gold, I've been told

If someone is looking for a dog with a specific purpose in mind, they aren't going to take their chances with a shelter dog that may or may not have the drive for whatever they're planning on using it for.

With a beagle, if you plan on using it as a hunting dog, you want a dog with good hunting lines and the correct build that a Beagle should have. You'd also want one that is free of genetic problems and has a stable temperment. You usually cannot find a driven, well built, well behaved Beagle in just any shelter. Therefore, you go to a reputable breeder. Most are few and far between, so you end up having to travel to get what you want.

Same goes for any working breed or any breed that is still used for its most common purpose.

I'm in no way against adopting, but not every one wants or has the use for a shelter dog.

What I AM against is supporting BYBs (who try and pass themselves off as reputable breeders to clueless people) and pet store (puppy mill) dogs.

If I didn't already have a Lab, my next dog would've been a purebred APBT from a breeder (aka. The only place you should get one in the first place.) But considering they are a dog aggressive breed, I'll most likely look to an Ibizan Hound or maybe even an IG. These dogs are also hard to find in shelters, so I will most likely go to a RB for either, because they are slender and light boned dogs, they (at least the IG, still doing research on the Ibizan) has a tendancy to knee and elbow problems. So I'd want a well bred one.

There are many people that travel a long distance just to Adopt a dog/cat from a shelter/humane society (or a relay is done, etc) just for the fact they like the look of the dog or cat.

When people are looking to breed, they will go the extra mile for that special bred dog/cat and I'm not talking Puppy Mills or Catteries. These are serious breeders for show, hunting, etc and many times they may just want that special breed to have as a pet only. We have a mix of full bred and not. Ours are spayed & neutered. We wanted pets (never thought it would be 4 dogs) though, hahaha!

Most dogs/cats that are at a shelter/humane society don't have papers and they're already spayed or neutered yet, they can be a good hunting dog/pet. Papers to me, mean nothing unless you plan on breeding (sensible breeding).

I believe the main reason people might travel hours away for a dog would be because they are a rare or favorite breed to the owner. Some of these people may be dog show contestants and looking for a new dog to start to train, a specific dog perhaps. Others, like myself, are looking for rare breeds to keep as pets, or a companion for life. I am currently looking at a wolf hybrid in Oklahoma, and I live in Ohio. It all depends what the reason is for to buy a dog miles away from ones home.

Well some people are just weird, or they want a pure bred version of that common breed and will travel to the location of a trusted breeder.

To some people having a pure bred dog that has registration papers is important. The ones that do CARE about the breed and dogs in general will want to get their dog from a reputable breeder, not a BYB/PM type. They may have to travel "so far" to find a good breeder. You know, the ones that do the genetic testing and their breeding stock has been proved to be up to breed standards...

I love dogs but pure breed/papers don't matter to me so I have always got my dogs from shelters or off the streets. In one case I got a dog that was abandoned in an apartment by his loving owners. I have NEVER supported a backyard breeder or puppy mill.

Find me someone who breeds WORKING Golden Retrievers in Malaysia and I'll agree with you that it's ridiculous.

Back