Why do I get depressed when I see people smiling/laughing?

RickAsthon

Apr 18, 2010
I don't really understand myself. Whenever I see someone walking around laughing or smiling, it always stikes up this strange sense of guilt and sadness within me. When my friends succeed, I get pissed, and then depressed. When kids are having fun in the park and having a good time, I feel blue. I know what I'm feeling is not right, so of course I put up this really positive and happy mask on (most people think I'm a really joyous guy), but the reality is that I am just really prone to these negative feelings.
Nothing seems to pease me. No matter what I get, I seem to find a fault in it. When I get clothes, its the wrong material. When I make a friend, he's too boring or too loud. When I get an A in a test, I feel as though I should have gotten the top in the class.If I'm on top, I feel as though I should be in a better school. It's a good driving force, but I want to feel happy.
I'm 18 and I've never had a girlfriend despite being good looking and all that because I'm constantly finding faults in people. Even the most attractive girls in the class aren't enough for me.
What's up with me?

Because deep down you do not feel like you can have a girl that looks that good, because your not worth it. You just have Anxiety/Depression. Get help soon. You find faults with people because you don't like yourself. The worst thing you could do is drink alcohol, or take drugs. You also need therapy as soon as possible. Trust me, I've been their. You have allot of deep secrets, but you do not let people know, because you don't trust anyone, not even yourself.

Something is missing in your life. Find out what it is and fill your life with it.

"Why do I get depressed when I see people smiling/laughing?" Envy. They seem happy, and you are not, and this bothers you. Envy is not good, it's not a positive emotion/reaction. I don't mean to be rude, just frank.

"What's up with me?" We all have negative tendencies in our personalities. You have named a number of yours. Being critical of others and yourself is a habit. You can change it, the thinking behind it, but it takes work.

My advice: Get this book, read it, practice its exercises, be consistent, until you form new better habits of thinking:

http://www.amazon.com/Ten-Days-Self-Esteem-David-Burns/dp/0688094554/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248635946&sr=8-1

Best wishes.

Back