Why did my 96 Dodge Stratus just quit running while I was on the interstate?

PrettyGirl

Mar 27, 2008
I have a 96 Dodge Stratus 4 cylinder. It just quit running while I was on the interstate. The gas was being pushed all the way down and speed was decreasing. Now it won't start. It attempts to turn over, but won't actually start. It makes the sound as if it were about to start but it won't actually start. I was told it was either the fuel pump or the timing belt. I took it to a shop and they said it's the timing belt. How much does a timing belt change on this car cost? Also, they aren't sure if it has an "interference motor" what does this mean? Advanced auto parts just told me it meant that if your timing belt goes out then your water pump needs to be changed also. But the shop is saying that an interference motor means your whole motor will mess up if your timing belt goes out. I don't have the money to replace everything in an old car that already has 250,000 miles on it.. I only bought it because it as temporary means of transportation.
Can someone break it down for me what actually may have happened to my car and how much it should cost?
Thanks!

Well, for one thing, you say it turns over and sounds like it wants to start. With a timing belt or chain broken, with an interference motor, your timing would be off and it would probably backfire and not eve try to start at all. Along with the valves maybe being bent.

So I don't think it is, since it will turn over. Even a tiny bit out of time, will cause it to maybe backfire.

However with a NON interference engine, the VALVe timing would still be okay, but the distributor would not be turning, so it would not fire. And that would also not even try to start...you said yours tries to start.

It could be something else, like a fuel pump, or filter plugged.

Try spraying some starting fluid ( used to start cars during cold weather)...spray some into the intake, by removing the rubber inlet duct and then see if the engine tries to start....if it does, then you are not getting any gas. If it still does not try to start, it could be ignition.

Cars need fuel and ignition..so by eliminating the fuel, by spraying in starting fluid, you then only have the ignition to worry about.

As for you water pump, it will probably need to be removed IF they replace the timing belt, and with an old engine, it would probably be best to just replace the water pump also...but if the pump was working okay, and you can't afford a new or rebuilt one, the just have them put on a new gasket and use the same water pump.

Oh.... on interference cars, the valves and pistons are "timed" to move at exactly the time, to keep the valves from hitting the pistons. Valves open and close as the piston goes up and down, so it not timed, the valves would open when the piston came up, and they would collide. The belt keeps the pistons and valves turning at the same time. So when it breaks, the pistons and valves no longer turn at the same time, and you have....problem.s

But some cars have a separate belt that runs just the distributor and the valves and pistons are not affected when this belt breaks.....the distributo just stops turning, so the car cannot "fire", and so it won't start.

Back