Why are so many atheists interested in the topic of religion and spirituality?

If you really want to pick my brain, it's because I'm challenging others to provide evidence for their beliefs that stands up to scrutiny. It hasn't happened and I don't imagine that it will.

If you really want to pick my brain, it's because I'm challenging others to provide evidence for their beliefs that stands up to scrutiny. It hasn't happened and I don't imagine that it will.

Whose scrutiny? Beliefs are personal and you are probably interested in cases of self-scrutiny. I am also interested in such cases.

Well for one, as you stated, it can and does effect legislation, school, science etc. But on top of it I am fascinated by the religious and what makes them believe, I find it bizarre and unsettling because we live in 2011 not the dark ages. We are or should be beyond this we have so much more knowledge.

i think a lot of them (not all) are insecure in their own beliefs, or lack thereof, just like many religious/spiritual folk. just my opinion, as it seems.

Mostly, because it was our interest in religion that made us atheists. We thought about it and explored it and studied its history and asked questions, and figured out that it's bunk.

Because I'm trying to find something that someone will say to me that proves he exists. I want to believe in God but I can't do so in a God who lets evil things happen in the world

Because I'm trying to find something that someone will say to me that proves he exists. I want to believe in God but I can't do so in a God who lets evil things happen in the world

As I wrote before, God is not a material entity. Therefore God's existence can not be validated/invalidated my scientific/physical methodology. God is a spiritual entity; God's existence can be validated/invalidated by spiritual/metaphysical methodology.

I tink it iz mostly becausee they're insecure, nad so they focus a lot of energy on justifying their philosophical position in irder twoee convince themselves taht it's reelee ok twoee bee antheist.

Religious societies have done bad things, and the idea is unintelligent and belief in a God is slowing us down to answer the questions we have about reality.

I expect more from humanity. That is all.

I can't speak for EVERY atheist, but most of the ones I know are interested in it because other people's religious beliefs have such a strong effect on our lives.

I don't really know of a "greater" reason to want to discuss the subject than that.

The reason is religious people have power and have used that power to deny people their rights. Also because it is important to know whether or not their is a god. Always interested in the latest arguments for the existence of god. Also if they ever can produce any evidence to back their claims.

It seems that most atheists who are here are not true atheists. Is is not that they do not believe in God, but rather that they do not WANT to believe in God because such belief would interfere with their chosen lifestyle. Many in the world are into gaining power, sex, or money and they measure their success by how well they do that. They know that their pursuit of these would be rejected by true faith, but they choose to ignore that. This creates a disharmony in themselves and as a result the "flight or fight" response kicks in. The anonymity of a web site makes them braver because no one knows who they are.

*drink*
Why do I come here?

This gets asked so often I prepared a list…
1. *drink*
2. Cos we can.
3. For teh LuLz.
4. A-theism is NOT a religion but it IS a valid religious position.
5. Who else would answer all the questions aimed at atheists?
6. Coming here, always makes me feel smarter-saner than I really am.
7. Kid, if you and your people didn't go to such extraordinary lengths to try to convince me and my people that all that imaginary little space chappie stuff wasn't any more than primitive superstition, you and your people would probably never hear from me and my people.
8. AND, cheap points are nothing to scoff at, huh?
9. The cats banned us from their section... cos we aren't cats(get it?).
10. I'm thinking... hang on a mo'.
11. I find religion totally fascinating…
12. I find the followers even more so.
13. AND their leaders… well no one does boolshit quite like Benny and the gang.
14. Religion permeates all of our lives whether we like it or not.
15. Oh, and how about ‘know thy enemy’?
~

because many christians like to ask us silly questions and we feel obligated to not let them think they are smart when they recycle ideas such as pascal's wager constantly.

Back